Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Fence cleaning help

Hey guys, nice informative site. I have a job, possible, wood fence cleaning job. My question or problem is that it must have a good sealer on it and when I try to test chemicals on it they just roll off. What am I missing and what do I do. Do I need a stripper or? Your suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it just mold and dirt you are washing away, or are you wanting to restain it?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the response, I was away for the day, I am just cleaning it for now and the bleach just beads up when I spray it on. I am trying to remove the dirt and the blacken color. I did not apply any water or pressure on it yet. The fence is about 6 / 7 years old with olympic clear wood sealer sprayed on it. Your suggestions and help would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

A few things come to mind...

1. How are you applying the bleach? Pump up, downstreaming, etc. Where did you get the bleach?
2. Is there a chance the fence wasnt cleaned before it was stained and what you are seeing is under the stain?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I just did a test patch with a spray bottle. I think the wood sealer was done a couple times starting right after the fence was installed, after wood curing time and a couple years latter without washing. Maybe I did not do enough testing. When I saw the CLOROX OUTDOOR BLEACH bead up, I figured it was not going to get into/onto the wood to clean so I stopped and got onto the site to get some input. The job is for a friend so I have time to figure this out without looking like a arss. Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

It sounds like to me they sealed the dirt and everything in. When your mix is beading up, then the stain is doing its job. You may have to strip everything off and start all over.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok that is what I thought. Next question is strip it with what and how?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Don M. or anyone, more input on my problem. Help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Use the washer to remove the thin layer of the sealer. Lower pressure about 1500PSI and max flow for your machine. If you can try to wash the fense or deck during a cool damp day or in the rain. This will allow you to work the wood in a moistened state and help in the stripping of the deck. Also get some deck stripper / cleaner and spray it on using a chemicial sprayer. Start using the chem in a no focal spot and see how strong it needs to be to get the results you want. Start weak and streagthen from there. Keep in mind a vert. board will weather much better than a horizontal one. Life expectancy of the vert board = 3-5 years horiz. = 1-2 years. don't try to clean the whole deck, work in sections . Also don't be in a hurry, I would rather chemicial 2-3Xs and get a great result than once with a blotchy un even colour/finish. Hope I helped.

DAFF
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

DAF, thanks a lot!!! That is the advice I was looking for!! Thanks to all you guys who gave me advice.