Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler CV730 Carb Solenoid Wiring

I am trying to wire a new Kohler Command CV730 to an older Craftsman mower. I have the correct key switch but the wiring doesn't make sense. The Red wire from the solenoid splits into two wires in the harness before the plug (working backward from the solenoid). One is supposed to go to the Batt+ terminal on the key switch along with the purple charging wire. But if this is true the solenoid would always have power and therefore kill the battery when not running. The second red wire is supposed to join the starter solenoid wire to the Start terminal on the battery. That's fine but if that red wire previously joined to a wire that always has power wouldn't that mean that the starter solenoid always has power and keep cranking the starter? I can separate the first wire and hook it to the run on acc terminal on the key switch so that the carb solenoid only has power when I turn the key to run. But there is only one Start terminal on the key switch and no other terminal gets power when the key is in the start position. So how do I get the solenoid to get power in the start position and run position without killing the batter or constantly supplying power to the starter solenoid? I have included a diagram that I am using