S70 and T190 Bobcats
360 SPRINT CAR!
Put some $$$ away for later

Maybe a HOT secretary!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
OK, maybe I should re-word this since everyone is taking this so literally...

Make a wish list - if money were no object and you could buy anything you wanted for your business, what would it be?
A bigger shop, bigger office, my own landscape supply yard.
I would buy out the local exmark dealer, service center and make it part
of my business.
I would hire a full time marketing and sales person and start a major advertising campaign.
I would hire someone who's sole purpose was to hire people,and find people, good people.

Maybe open a gas station?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put a building on some land (20-30 acres) big enough to lease to a number of landscape and snow companies with their own fenced off yards and units, and set up a landscape supply yard, salt depot, equipment dealer, truck and equipment repair and rental centre, employee temp agency, & gas station all on the same property. That of course is if I decide to stay in THIS type of business. But reality is I'd bail on this business if I was lucky enough to catch a lottery.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Iff'n I had a millyun...

I'd probably buy me one of those 40,000 Spyder slope mowers, and put a seat on it! Nah, really, I'd probably just put it in the bank, and farm it away, but I' d damsureashell have some fun with it!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy other peoples established businesses, add them as crews to mine, update my trucks and equipment, and do one hell of an advertising scheme to get more customera, take on larger contracts, and while they are all out working for me I'll be on the golf course.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
OK, maybe I should re-word this since everyone is taking this so literally...
Yeah while the quantity of participants has gone up the quality has gone downhill over the years

I would get all the little loose ends tied up and bring the franchise model to market.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I would sink that million ..or more.. into getting the best teamS that I could. First of all by evaluating them and making sure I hired only industrious people who truly loved building things, using their hands, plants, gardening, ..the good earth.. and the great outdoors. I would educate them (vids..fieldtrips, etc. ..whatever it took..), pay them very, very decent wages, and offer fair insurance coverage. They would love working for me. ..LOL.. I'd have people create for me a kick-butt website to include links to providers and become sort of a Wally-World of the business. Customers could link to provider sites to get ideas in mind for what they want ..types of sod ..plants ..hardscapes; etc. They could get a clue as to costs so they could lose that shell-shocked look they get when I give them an estimate. ..LOL.. ..Then I would turn the whole shebang over to someone I trusted ..sit back..put my feet up ..sip on a Red Stripe ..and gaze at nothing but the perfect vista of my own lovely backyard for a long, long time.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

If I won millions I'd landscape for free. I'd do it for good people who are either too old, handicapped, or just can't afford it.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Money & Cash

Well i always thought that I would put money into my business. How ever after getting back into music, i would not waste one dime on this arena. The low balling , high prices of fuel and people , who just do not pay on time . I would slip a way.... Here is where you would find me . The Berklee school of music in Boston finishing up my music work. Man i would write some country songs about the cut throat operations that go on in this business. My new C/D would be titled " no more yards to cut"some songs like let the fireman cut it for less, your a pita what more can i say.

Then go out on tour for about 8 months and play it up all over the country. Yep that's it just back to school and finish another degree, and just have fun.

SO I WOULD HAVE SOME THING TO DO THAT " I " ACTUALLY LIKE.

Last edited by SCAG POWER; 05-26-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasswhacker View Post
Don't play, so my odds are less than 0 of winning.
Ditto. Once in awhile some folks who really don't know me give me a lottery ticket, or other instrument of the lottery as a gift. Why? Because they haven't taken time to get to know me. Those tickets, stubs, or whatever they are called, are just put in the trash.

If I did get a $1M from some source as a gift, I sure wouldn't put it into the lawn service business. There are far too many other places to invest the money with a higher profit, and better longevity than the dead-end lawn service industry.