Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Dandilion prevention

Help me out guys.

I've been spaying these things after I put down Scotts weed control fertilizer.

Now, It probably worked as I have 20% of the Dandilion weeds the neighbors have, but I would like a Dandilion and weed pre-emergent that will knock them out.

Any products out there you can recomend for a homeowner?

Cap.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

weed and feed is crap!!! you need the exact conditions for it to work and it doesnt get them all out, there is now preemergent for dandilions in your bed. Look for a product called trimec, it works great here, just read the label and make sure it doesnt harm your type of grass
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captn View Post
Help me out guys.

I've been spaying these things after I put down Scotts weed control fertilizer.

Now, It probably worked as I have 20% of the Dandilion weeds the neighbors have, but I would like a Dandilion and weed pre-emergent that will knock them out.

Any products out there you can recomend for a homeowner?

Cap.
Use the weed and feed in the FALL, 2 weeks before before the first frost there (IL... Mid October?) and apply to a Damp Turf.

This will get the newbies that were seeds right around now-late may.

Following spring, you may only have to spot spray a couple.

Buy the product NOW, so you have it for the FALL, as it may not be available at that time.

I give this tip to homeowners often, and they like the results.

Pete
Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i agree for homeowners. we blanket professinally in spring and fall, later if possible to catch as many spring time problems in the fall as possible
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I apply a 19-0-6 w/ Dimension .10 as my first app and a 19-0-6 w/ Dimension.15 as my second app and supplement that with a momentum spray and that pretty much takes care of everything.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Illinois is similiar to upper East TN as far as Turf. Our temp may be just a bit warmer and a little quicker for soil to warm. Generally in Feb. I use 0-0-7.21 Dimension. Following greenup then fertilize according to soil test done in January. Most all of the dandelions never show up except around the edges where the Dimension didn't hit. A little Q-4 or Trimex knock out those. Another good product (and do not laugh) is Weed Free Zone by Fertilome. It is good when the season is cool and will knock out most broadleaf when the temp is around 40.
You may have to blanket in the begining. There are lots of fields around us and a lot of that seed gets blown into the lawn but the Dimension does work well.
You could go ahead and apply a late Dimension(Fescue and Bluegrass mix) now and hit existinig Dandys with Trimex.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started last year on like two properties started using a product called Gallery 75D it will prevent dandelions but it is costly.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Granular weed control products are not nearly as effective as liquid weed control products. The reasons are numerous. First, you cannot mow the lawn before the application or you'll mow the leaves of the weeds off, leaving no surface for the weed control to rest on. Second, the lawn has to be wet at the time of application. Third, once the application has been applied, you cannot water or mow for an additional 24-48 hours. I also recommend that you keep kids and animals off of the lawn during this period.

That being said, there are many liquid control products that you can use. Lesco's "Eliminate-D" or Gordon's SpeedZone Southern will both work well for Dandelion's. Spray it on when the lawn is dry and allow the product to dry before watering. Also, keep activity off the lawn until it's dry. With proper mixing and careful attention to understanding the label, you should be able to take care of those pesky weeds without damaging your lawn.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Great stuff guys.

Spraying is hard because the yard is so long. A spreading weed control systerm is most likely what I'm looking for.

I looked out today....you can't even see the 7 acres of turf across the street due to the canopy of gold. There must be a couple million dandilion weeds in there.

This Sucks.

Cap.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the Gallery advice, if it really is that much of a problem this is the ticket, I spray it every november and am usually weed free through the spring. Also as said in an earlier post a good fall application is a must.