Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Starseal that doesnt last????????

First time posting. Little bit of history. Im located in west Michigan. Purchased an existing company last fall. Worked Aug-Nov last season.

PROBLEM IS: I have been driving around looking at jobs we sprayed last fall. Some look great and some look .....well...bad.

We use Star-seal. 30% water. 2 lbs. silica sand. Sprayed. On all jobs.

There are jobs that were done the very same day out of the very same tank with very different results. How can this happen??? Some material is wearing well and some has worn off.

Any comments are welcome. I want to produce quality work that I can be proud of. There is such inconsistancy. I dont know what the problem is.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention we also add 5 gallons of Star Macro-Flex additive per load in a 700 gallon tank.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Being from Michigan I am assuming they sand and salt the lots you are sealing. That being the case depending on how much sand and how much traffic in the lot will dictate how fast it will wear off. High traffic and sand is a BIG factor that is why you are seeing a difference in one lot to another. Applied according to MFG. specs most sealers wear the same.Hope this was helpful.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I use star seal and give and stand behind two and three year warranties.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Question

Just a note, this wouldn't cause the uneven wear problem, but one bucket of MacroFlex in a 700 gallon tank is useless.
You would need at least 3 depending on how much concentrate you have in a load. Macroflex needs to be at least about a 2.5-3% rate (2 1/2 -3 gallons per 100 gallons concentrate) to give any noticeable increase in performance.
The salt/sand could be an issue but also how well the lot was cleaned. New sealcoaters often miss how "clean" clean needs to be.
Some lots have embedded grime that's extremely difficult to clean that doesn't look much different to the untrained eye than one where you can simply blow off the dirt & debris & go ahead & seal (since you mentioned last year was your first) It's a possibility you didn't get some pavements as clean as you thought you did.