Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Making a living..

I've been agrivated lately from people saying you can not make a living at this. Now let me say I am still young, 19, will be 20 in June. I have a nice little income to give me a small apartment, nice truck and equipment but I will not make enough to support a family, years down the road.

What kind of net income are some of you guys getting with 2-5 employees? Also, what kind of work do you offer? Right now I'm mostly mowing/shurb trimming/tree service etc. with some mulch jobs and build a garden wall/retaining wall on occasion. I'm a licensed pesticide applicator and I'm just trying to figure out where i'm going from here, or what to expect.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis45 View Post
I've been agrivated lately from people saying you can not make a living at this. Now let me say I am still young, 19, will be 20 in June. I have a nice little income to give me a small apartment, nice truck and equipment but I will not make enough to support a family, years down the road.

What kind of net income are some of you guys getting with 2-5 employees? Also, what kind of work do you offer? Right now I'm mostly mowing/shurb trimming/tree service etc. with some mulch jobs and build a garden wall/retaining wall on occasion. I'm a licensed pesticide applicator and I'm just trying to figure out where i'm going from here, or what to expect.
My young friend you are not optimistic enough about your future. Therefore, you are bound to FAIL!

It is called ...HARD WORK! Get out there and get some good accounts, do a good job and you will make it. Pick out your speciality run with that and steady expand from there. People are making a living at this and there is no reason you cannot make a good living as well!

Wishing you the best-

DJ-
2007 EverRide Warrior 54" Deck w/25 HP Kawasaki
2007 Toro 36" Turbo Force, T-Bar/15 HP Kawasaki
2005 Toro Proline 48" Float Deck w/15 HP Kawasaki
Few Echo and Sthil Handhelds and Backpack Blowers

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well"
Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I strongly agree with Military Lawns. "No matter what their will always be grass to mow" good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For any company to grow there needs to be expansion. You are a licensed applicator so why not start offering those services? The harder you work, the more you will make. You can't expect to be making a lot if you just sit around thinking that you are going no where. You have to look at it with a positive point of view, think about what other services you can offer or what you can do or change to make your company more profitable. If you think that you are going to fail then you will fail!! Look at it in a positve way and do your best. Best of luck to you.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I believe in myself but it always seems everyone puts people down that work in this industry.

I maintain 45 weekly accounts give or take a few, and right now about 25 acres of cemeteries. Also have a couple landscape jobs per week. Really just looking for some motivation knowing that there are people who can make a nice living off of a few employee's rather than 15-20 workers.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

dais45m
First I want to say CONGRADS!!!!
It sounds like you are doing a GREAT JOB!!!!
Esp. being so young and being in business for 7 years! WOW!
Keep up the great work.
You are doing a lot all ready!
It looks like you are on track.
My husband and I are just starting out this year. So far we have done spring clean up job, two rock clean up jobs (power brooming), we have three summer mowing jobs lined up, and a mulching job lined up to do also.
We will also be offering natural fertilizer, weed and pest treatment.
Fall Clean up and more as time go on and the business grows, we hope.
So I guess you will have to just keep on track and add what you feel you can for services. Then as you keep growing look into adding help.
Maybe you could add snow moving in the winter, have you thought of that?
There might be other things too.
So keep up the Great work and Keep on Mowing.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Lawns View Post
My young friend you are not optimistic enough about your future. Therefore, you are bound to FAIL ! It is called ...HARD WORK ! ...
I don't think I quite agree with this ... yeah, he sounds a little down, however, you may have pushed him over the edge with what you said. ITo me it sounds like a young man asking those who are presumably older with more, and "better", experience (i.e.-those who are suppose to be "wise") for some guidance and/or advice ... but you apparently fail to meet that requirement, so please just be quiet.

I happen to agree with what Song Bird said !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Song Bird;2293991]dais45m
First I want to say CONGRADS!!!!
It sounds like you are doing a GREAT JOB!!!!
Esp. being so young and being in business for 7 years! WOW!
QUOTE]

Thank you, I can't say i've been in real business for 7 years, but I did start mowing lawns in JR High school. I went fully legal my senior year of high school.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Good or bad I would like to hear what you have to say.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hopefully some of the more experienced(employer's) will chime in. I think you are asking the right questions. I don't think you can raise a large family and own a mcmansion as a solo operator. You are pretty close to the quantity of work(45 weekly) that you can do by yourself so you know what type of lifestyle that offers. You can probably make a Little more by offering high end landscaping. You should do as much with the chemical applications as possible. I think the key to a larger payday in this business is having employees and offering more expensive services as indicated but not limited to those listed above. I know one guy in my area who has a 3 man crew & lives very nicely with his wife & two children. He doesn't mow unless one of his employees calls in sick. He mainly sells, runs the show & makes sure all of the equipment maintenance is done. I think he said that he had about 120 weekly accounts. Talk to those who have successfully run several crews and find our how you can grow your business. The other posts are correct in that what ever you do hard work will be involved. Hopefully you will be able to acquire the knowledge and have the drive to successfully have someone else do the hard physical labor for you. You have made it further than most and only careful preparation,planning and hard work will enable you to get to the next level.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE View Post
Hopefully some of the more experienced(employer's) will chime in. I think you are asking the right questions. I don't think you can raise a large family and own a mcmansion as a solo operator. You are pretty close to the quantity of work(45 weekly) that you can do by yourself so you know what type of lifestyle that offers. You can probably make a Little more by offering high end landscaping. You should do as much with the chemical applications as possible. I think the key to a larger payday in this business is having employees and offering more expensive services as indicated but not limited to those listed above. I know one guy in my area who has a 3 man crew & lives very nicely with his wife & two children. He doesn't mow unless one of his employees calls in sick. He mainly sells, runs the show & makes sure all of the equipment maintenance is done. I think he said that he had about 120 weekly accounts. Talk to those who have successfully run several crews and find our how you can grow your business. The other posts are correct in that what ever you do hard work will be involved. Hopefully you will be able to acquire the knowledge and have the drive to successfully have someone else do the hard physical labor for you. You have made it further than most and only careful preparation,planning and hard work will enable you to get to the next level.
Great post, thank you. I'm really wanting to have a 2 man crew to do the mowing. Myself and a helper on landscape jobs, then get alot of contracts for Fert. and weed control to do on my own.