Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Pressure Washing Driveways....Would like some input

Hey everyone.....i did my moms driveway and then went to my friends and did his driveway as well. He just bought a house, so we're making it look good.

While we were washing his driveway, the neighbor saw how good it looked and she asked about us doing it for her.

I have a nice pressure washer, and I use a floor cleaner that I use from my job. The question is, how much do you charge if you have to use the customers water line to supply water to your pressure washer. I have a truck, but damn....how am i supposed to haul around 200-300 gallons of water in a plastic tank? I don't have the money for something like that.

When you pressure wash a house or driveway, do you use the customers water; give them a discount for doing so, or do you have your own water tank. I think hauling your own water is more professional, but seriously...this isn't my profession, so thats out of the question.

And on average, how big of a water tank would you need for a driveway.

My pressure washer is 4.0 GPM direct drive with a 13HP Honda engine.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levithan9 View Post
Hey everyone.....i did my moms driveway and then went to my friends and did his driveway as well. He just bought a house, so we're making it look good.

While we were washing his driveway, the neighbor saw how good it looked and she asked about us doing it for her.

I have a nice pressure washer, and I use a floor cleaner that I use from my job. The question is, how much do you charge if you have to use the customers water line to supply water to your pressure washer. I have a truck, but damn....how am i supposed to haul around 200-300 gallons of water in a plastic tank? I don't have the money for something like that.

When you pressure wash a house or driveway, do you use the customers water; give them a discount for doing so, or do you have your own water tank. I think hauling your own water is more professional, but seriously...this isn't my profession, so thats out of the question.And on average, how big of a water tank would you need for a driveway.

My pressure washer is 4.0 GPM direct drive with a 13HP Honda engine.

Thanks for your input
Yes,the customer supplies the water.
No,there is no discount for using the customers water.
If we have to haul it on site they pay extra.

Why would hauling water be more professional?Water cost the customers about $3 per 1000 gallons,so the cost is minimal to them.

Hauling few hunderd gallons of water at just over 8 pounds per gallon can be dangerous.Imagine blowing a trailer tire at 60mph with a 300 gallon tank full.
Most companies try not to haul more than 50 or 100 gallons from job to job and they only use that for a buffer until their tank fills from the customers water supply.
www.georgiaproclean.com
PWM
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, using trailers to move the water is a risky idea. I think everyone has done it in thier early years though. Putting the water on a truck is a better and more convienient way to do it. If you own a 3/4 ton or one ton yes this is a feasable idea but it can be expensive.

We can haul 2200gal to the job site if need be. Usually the truck is not to capacity to avoid using any more fuel than necessary. Its not the cost of the water to the customer, it is the feeling of using my stuff to make money. IMO it is much more proffitable plus professional to roll onto site unroll the hose and start washing. Also for a part timer this idea is almost impossible, cost vs proffit. In time it will come, be patient and remember baby steps. A 300gal tank will make a good start up system, about 2hrs of run time . Plus you can run the return (off the unloader) hose back to the tank and the pump will love you!! Good luck!!

DAFF
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Explain to the customer that it is much cheaper for you to use their water supply than to have to pay for hauling water.
Pressure Washing Prices