Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

When to spray

I bought some Weed-B-Gone max. concentrate w/crabgrass killer. 1 qt. will mix up 12 gal. I bought 4 of them , Is this enought to spray my lawn ? I have about 4 acres that I mow and want to control weeds. I just bought a Fimco 3pt sprayer for my JD4600 , It has a 10-11 ft boom and hand gun as well. Also should I mow before spraying or not. I havent mowed yet this year, but it could be mowed any time now. I had spread fert. a coupla weeks ago and now it is greening up nice with all the rain we had. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks U. Bear
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you take that stuff back and then visit a Lesco in your area. They should be able to show you a really good broadleaf herbicide. For that kind of coverage, you'd get a better kill with Speedzone or Trimec. Of course, it depends on your turfgrass and what weeds you have. Speedzone has a fairly broad spectrum of weeds that it will control.
Again visit Lesco/JohnDeere or whoever sells professional supplies in your area. More than likely since you are probably not a licensed applicator, there will be little or no issues spraying your own property. Weed-B-Gon is primarly 2,4-D weakly applied.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Go to a supplier such as Lesco or whoever is in your area and talk to the personel there. They deal with professionals on a daily basis and can give you good advice on which product to choose and correct mixing rates.

When using boom type sprayers, the mixing rate will more than likely be different than using a tank sprayer at a 2 gallon per minute/1,000 sq. feet rate or a handcan/backpack rate. It's crucial that you find the correct rate and the correct product that is labeled for the weeds that you're trying to control. Otherwise, you may damage your lawn and get no control whatsoever.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A bit about timing...wait until all the weeds are up. Usually mid to late May. If you spray to soon, you won't get them all
Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

12 gallons of solution per quart. Four quarts. You have enough to do 36,000 square feet. About three-fourths of an acre.

Read the label on the weedo carefully and see how many square feet one bottle will cover. Use water to find how many sqft per tank the Fimco sprayer will cover. Calculate and mix accordingly. The crabgrass control will be wasted since it is a post-emergent summer type crabgrass control. It will have no effect unless the crabgrass is already up--that will not be until about the fourth of July in Wisconsin. Don't go to Lesco--the professionals get angry if they have to stand in line forever, while a homeowner asks a million questions. Your best bet is to hire a professional to do this job.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weed B Gone is crap

The product you bought is irresponsible marketing by Ortho. Crabgrass control needs to be applied now and the weed control shouldn't be applied until mid May at the earliest. When I start applying in mid May I use Speedzone and then switch over to Momentum Fx2 around Memorial Day. If you have sandy soil get your crabgrass control down now. You should use a low or no nitrogen product this time of ear unless you ant to mow the grass every 3 to 5 days. If you have heavy clay soils don't waste the money on crabgrass control as I have very few problems with crabgrass in those type soils if the lawn is properly fertilized.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I agree. Go to a supplier such as Lesco
Of course you would recommend going to Lesco / Deere...
You work there!

In fact, you're the never-ending "Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere" infomercial on this site !!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The only folks around here getting any real results, thus far this spring, are the ones using some type of ester (alcohol-based) weed control...

Either they're using "customized" ester formulations like I do (Cool Power), or they're 'spiking' their Trimec (etc) with stuff like Quiksilver, Speedzone, etc...which gives the spray mix some needed "ester punch" until the temps get consistently up around the lower 80's.

Then...the 'switchover' to amine (water-based) formulations will happen...often very abruptly !!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will not defend Lesco here but I will defend Hissing Cobra. His advice is always good but like ALL posts, including mine, they should be taken with "a grain of salt".
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelt35 View Post
I bought some Weed-B-Gone max. concentrate w/crabgrass killer. 1 qt. will mix up 12 gal. I bought 4 of them , Is this enought to spray my lawn ? I have about 4 acres that I mow and want to control weeds. I just bought a Fimco 3pt sprayer for my JD4600 , It has a 10-11 ft boom and hand gun as well. Also should I mow before spraying or not. I havent mowed yet this year, but it could be mowed any time now. I had spread fert. a coupla weeks ago and now it is greening up nice with all the rain we had. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks U. Bear
pelt35 - I'm just south of Madison. The herbicide(s) used, delivery (equipment & calibration), timing and temperature will determine the effectiveness of treatment.

The Weed-B-Gone Max will deliver so so results and only under ideal conditions. Send me a PM and I will put you on the right track.

Tools of the trade:
FIMCO
GRASSHOPPER
KUBOTA TRACTOR
F450 DUMP
AERAVATOR
LAWNAIRE
SPYKER
STIHL
LS REVITALIZER