Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deer crashed the Lesco party

I don't know who is going to John Deer Landscapes (old Lesco) for material, but if you are, you are paying too much. ex. Lesco Basagram 1 gal $112 I get it from Howards Fertilizer Co. in Orlando FL $80, and all the prices are marked up in the same order. At least Lesco would try and match prices. If you don't shop around, you are crazy.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's how JD works. You're paying for a name now. What's crazy is that Lowes carries Lesco's lawn control products & are significantly cheaper than at the Lesco store.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrz View Post
That's how JD works. You're paying for a name now. What's crazy is that Lowes carries Lesco's lawn control products & are significantly cheaper than at the Lesco store.
carcrz

That is nothing new. Years ago I realized what a rip Lesco could be when I bought 10 bags of Weed & Feed, only to go the Home Cheapo the same day and find the SAME BLEND $ 2.00 a bag cheaper. Home Cheapo does that a lot on all products. But watch Home Cheapo and Wally World prices because they slip it to you on other items.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray_man View Post
I don't know who is going to John Deer Landscapes (old Lesco) for material, but if you are, you are paying too much. ex. Lesco Basagram 1 gal $112 I get it from Howards Fertilizer Co. in Orlando FL $80, and all the prices are marked up in the same order. At least Lesco would try and match prices. If you don't shop around, you are crazy.
Earlier this spring they dropped my price per bag of fertilizer from $21 to $14 per bag.

They'll deal.

They're by far the cheapest I called.

With that said, that's for my fertilizer.

I've been downt his road with other threads, and they're the only one in my area (30 mile radius) that carries chemicals, or that will return a call after multiple attempts.

With THAT said, I'm still able to competitively price my chemical apps with what I AM paying for chemicals, so no real hard search beyond that 30 mile radius, since fuel charges or delivery play into it, since I go through about 20 gallons of broadleaf herbicide and about 9-11 pallets of fertilizer per year, over 4 rounds.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Earlier this spring they dropped my price per bag of fertilizer from $21 to $14 per bag.

They'll deal.

I've been downt his road with other threads, and they're the only one in my area (30 mile radius) that carries chemicals, or that will return a call after multiple attempts.

With THAT said, I'm still able to competitively price my chemical apps with what I AM paying for chemicals, so no real hard search beyond that 30 mile radius, since fuel charges or delivery play into it, since I go through about 20 gallons of broadleaf herbicide and about 9-11 pallets of fertilizer per year, over 4 rounds.
Why did they drop your fert price from $21.00 to $14.00 a bag? Did you complain or ...?

Tools of the trade:
FIMCO
GRASSHOPPER
KUBOTA TRACTOR
F450 DUMP
AERAVATOR
LAWNAIRE
SPYKER
STIHL
LS REVITALIZER
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraformer View Post
Why did they drop your fert price from $21.00 to $14.00 a bag? Did you complain or ...?
I told them I was switching, and calling around, that I couldn't afford it anymore... go back a couple of months, right around the end of Feb., first part of March I believe, and you'll see a long thread about Lesco's (JD's) pricing structure and everyone bailiing.

I think what happened is enough southern guys bailed, so all of a sudden JD is sitting around on all this material not making any money, and realized they needed to start to move some product.

I'm not the only one they dropped the price on.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's a link to the thread...

Read through it...more than one guy stated how they dropped the price.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Lesco
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post

They'll deal.

How did you get your price down to $14 per bag and what product is it? 19-0-6 .10? or are you spraying your pre m out of your Magnum again? How did that work last year?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I avoid Lesco (JD) as much as possible. The others are right, if you shop around you can get "similar" product w same results if properly applied. The one guy who got fert for 14 a bag, you must buy semi's to get that price. We used to buy 10 pallets a year from JD, this year we found other source w a savings over 3,000 and have had nothing but compliments on quality of lawns. Its a broken record.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN-UP View Post
I avoid Lesco (JD) as much as possible. The others are right, if you shop around you can get "similar" product w same results if properly applied. The one guy who got fert for 14 a bag, you must buy semi's to get that price. We used to buy 10 pallets a year from JD, this year we found other source w a savings over 3,000 and have had nothing but compliments on quality of lawns. Its a broken record.

I run a 10-0-20, 65% slow release, 10% iron granular for my fertilizer, and I'm spraying Dimension 2EW out of the Magnum.

Last year we had virtually no rain until August, even in the spring, so it wouldn't have been a very good test to see if it worked or not. Chem-Lawn, my buddies that fertilize, everyone was having breakthrough last year, even on the properties that were watered.

My price of $14 per bag is on me buying 10 pallets this year, not just this round.