Register free!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Someone help me here with liquid fert. application

Right now I pretty much power rake, aerate, mow, pressure wash, etc. A whole bunch of my customers are really fed up with the service they get from the liquid fert. guys here in my town. They pretty much miss a bunch of the yard and do it so fast that its very ineffective. My customers are all willing to use me if I start offering this. I know I need to take an exam with my county or state and get my lic. for it but what the liquid concentrate? Where do I get my supplies? I have a trailer that I can dedicate for a tank and pump. Could someone tell me where to get the chemicals and send pics of there setups.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have a digital camera setup right now...

But you can call bigger fertilizer companies out west like 'Archer Daniels Midland' (ADM) and get current pricing from them.

In terms of saving freight costs, the key is finding a liquid fert vendor that is "in-state", or as close to you as possible.
The hauling of 275 gallon refillable skid-mounted "mini bulks" of liquid fertilizer on semis isn't cheap in these days of $4.00 + a gallon diesel fuel !

Here's a blog I posted some time ago on this topic.... to someone else like you who asked :

Want to save some real S P A C E in your barns?
Go with SLOW release liquid fertilizers that you can tank-mix with Pre-M, or herbicides or (whatever) at an established and legit fill station every day.

The biggest expense is getting the 'master' tank, plumbing, pump, fill equipment, and spill containment set up. But that's easily paid for within a season when you consider the aggravation of dealing with bags and the volume they take up all the time.
(In my case, I already had prior access to much of it anyway from other farm endeavors)

The other minor roadblock to overcome is the perceived bad reputation some people give to liquid.
But that objection is easily overcome, most of the time, when I explain the differences in what is 'fast release' cheap melted-down urea... and what is 'micro-encapsulated' slow release liquid fertilizer!

Or if you don't want to go out and buy a master "poly" tank and containment system (to be legit and legal and all )...you can probably get away with ordering and "renting" 275 gallon mini-bulks of any types of fertilizers, including slow-release w/ micros.

Most companies like ADM and Morral will arrange to set up a 'delivery schedule' for you...to in essence exchange whatever "empties" you have, for "full" ones...on a one or two week, or monthly schedule. Whatever your level of business dictates.
You just pay them a deposit on the actual "bulk" that gets refunded to you at some point down the road...

(But remember... Bigger fert buyers get better pricing, period !)

If you're interested, a good place to start is http://www.morralcompanies.com/wholesale_fertilizer.htm

Morral (in Ohio) is WAYYYYY too far away for you to use as a vendor...but it'll give you some idea of what you'd be getting into.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Go to www.prosourceone.com and look at Proforma Liquids.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcb27101 View Post
Go to www.prosourceone.com and look at Proforma Liquids.

??

...nothing at ALL listed in ProsourceOne's on-line catalog for "Proforma", except for 50# bags.

Do maybe the Prosource reps know and sell something... that our computers don't show ?