Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

My unit actually does have the green fuel lines rather than the black ones. There are two lines that run from the top of the tank to the carb. One is the fuel pickup and I'm assuming that one is the vent?

Thanks so much,

Wes
Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptexan View Post
My unit actually does have the green fuel lines rather than the black ones. There are two lines that run from the top of the tank to the carb. One is the fuel pickup and I'm assuming that one is the vent?

Thanks so much,

Wes
one is the pick and one is the return, If you do not have a third line the vent is most likly in the cap. When it starts to surge, remove the fuel cap and listen to hear if it sucks air.
36 Scag WB w/ Sulke
2x Echo 261t trimmer
Echo 260 edger
Shindiawa EB8510 blower
Echo PB-251 blower
Echo HC-150 hedge trimmer
Echo PPT-260 pole saw
Husky 338xpt
Husky 346xp
Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, this definitely is not a vent issue because I loosened the fuel cap and the issue did not improve. It's kind of an odd problem because it will bog on the top end most of the time but sometimes it runs just fine. As far as the new carb goes, my Stihl dealer wants $60.32 for the correct Zama C1Q carb. That's pretty hard for me to to justify since I bought the blower used for about $75 and a new one won't be much over $150. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I think I'll try to pull the blower apart and purchase a gasket/diapragm kit for the carb which will be about $6 and see if that helps me out.

Thanks,

Wes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I has the same problem (i tried everything, new plugs, filter, gas nothign fixed it) and I seafomed the engine and then added seafoam to the gas and everything works fine now

www.ProTurfLawnServiceLLC.com
Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I'm about at my wits end with this problem. I pulled the Zama carb and installed new pump gasket/diaphragm and new metering gasket/diaphragm but had no luck. It just seems so much like a fuel problem to me since it runs great sometimes but then will randomly start to bog. I also pulled my fuel lines again and checked them by looking and putting a vacuum on them. Maybe it has something to do with the carb metering lever or inlet needle valve? I'll also try the seafoam later today and see how that works. Honestly, I was about to put my BG55 blower out on the curb with my trash this morning!

Thanks,

Wes
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Put some in the gas to and it will take a couple of days for it tp work

www.ProTurfLawnServiceLLC.com
Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you said you checked the fuel lines may i ask how? you need a pressure pump to do this right. but to be honest it sounds like the primer valve or flange as is called is bad. it the part that goes under the primer bulb (they go bad all the time) but again to know if its bad and so you dontkeep throwing parts at it as you have you need a pump to test that also but i will give ten to one thats what it is.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, I think that I've got my problem straightened out. When I got home from work yesterday, I realized that I had a half full can of Sea Foam that I used on my truck several months ago. I decided to give it a shot so, while running my BG55 with the air filter off at a fast idle, I very slowly poured 1/2 ounce of the Sea Foam through the carb. The engine wanted to die and it made alot of smoke but I noticed that it was running pretty much fine once the smoke cleared. I then proceeded to add about 1/2 ounce of Sea Foam to the gas tank and threw the air filter back on w/cover and then ran my BG55 again. The intermittant bogging problem came back! I swapped the air filter on and off a few times and then came to the realization that the air filter was probably causing the engine to run rich due to lack of air at the upper rpms. I put the filter back on the engine and then adjusted the high speed screw slighty to the lean side and the blower began to run better. I adjusted the screw a bit more and then it started to run perfect at the upper rpms, with no bogging. Everything was fine but the idle still seemed to be off a bit. I have a photo tach so I decided that I would stick a piece of reflective tape on the blower impeller with the cover open and see what I came up with. The idle was reading slightly under 1200 rpm. I flipped through the manual and discovered that idle speed should be somewhere around 1800 rpm so I adjusted the idle screw accordingly. Now my BG55 runs better than it did when I bought it! It was my fault all along and I was blaming it on my beloved BG55... Now that I think about it, I should go ahead and get a new air filter just to see if that works better than the existing one (which should be clean since its almost new). Is there a way to just clean these filters or should I just purchase a new one?

Thanks for the help,

Wes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one of these come into the shop today and the customer said " it will idle but not rev up good" I looked around and saw the little spark arrestor thing that screws into the muffler only had a pin hole left to breath thru . Cleaned that and it was running perfect again . Then the shop owner wanted me to install a new carb , new plug , new fuel filter and lines and put a new pull rope on it .
So I am in the market for a new job today.
I have all of the certificates listed on the stihl ecadamy web site not just the bronze level 1
So if you know of an honest shop or would be interested in starting one in the atlanta area?
blugrassdave@yahoo.com
Thanks
David
Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ripping Off People

David, way to go, glad to read you stuck to your guns. I'm so sick of rip off dealers, that's why I work for myself, maybe you can't do that right now but... I worked for a big outfit here in Ft. Worth and got the same deal, then they started telling me I couldn't charge this or that customer so much, like the song goes "Take this job and shove it" I now work out of the house with loyal and good folks and there is a lot of trust between us. Took a few years to weed out all the residential junk, now all I do is about half a dozen commercial landscapers and it keeps me hopping, don't need anymore, don't want anymore, ain't getting rich, but damn sure happier.