Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2001, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Raised pond???

I need some major help on this one. A client wants a rectangular pond installed in a very formal garden. The dimensions are to be about 9' x 15'. The pond is to be approximately 1' in-ground, and 2.5' above ground. Now as for what I am thinking as a designer, I would like to build it with whatever is cheap (concrete blocks?) and sturdy, and then tile over it, or maybe do stackstone around it. I would also like a nice wide ledge so that people can sit on the edge comfortably and watch the fish. Anyway, the pond should also have some plant shelves and some kind of pump to keep the water clean, aerated, and filtered. I was thinking of doing a plant bed on the two smaller sides to hide any thing like that I need. I was looking at the Aquascape skimmer thing for that. So as you all may be able to see, I am pretty ignorant about construction like this! Any help that y'all can give me would be great. Ideas, suggestions, questions, anything at all! Thanks everyone. (Also, I need to keep it as cheap as possible).
Old 12-11-2001, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not an expert on something like this, so take my input with a grain of salt....

Water is heavy. Very heavy. Heavier than soil. If you're going to build something 2 1/2 ft above ground, you'll need to do your homework to know what you need to do to hold back that kind of weight.

As for the idea of it being cheap, I guess cheap is relative. But relative to my customers, I think you can throw the idea of this thing being cheap out the window. What did they tell you their budget was for this?

Also, this may now qualify as a pool and not a pond. Which may put a great deal of restrictions on you as well, like fences around it to protect small children.....
Old 12-12-2001, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

yep, i have also thought of the laws on that, and the entire area is going to be fenced in, so there should be no problem there. As far as a budget, I don't know- they are looking at a lot of work, and so I am trying to keep everything relativly inexpensive in order to get more work from them. I am not too worried about labor cost on this one- mostly materials.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I guess this is a bit of a side observation -

Low price and a lot of work, or

High price and a little work.

If it nets you the same profit, take less work.

And while I realize all of this may be of little help to you, that's about all I can offer.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Aqua?
Old 12-15-2001, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

a fiberglass shell with 1x2 frame for above ground would last
a long time-probably set up with tile, pump and plants for
$5-600 wholesale-sounds like work, so get help!
good luck
S