Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dimension new grass

I had a customer call me in a mild panic because I put 19-0-6 fertilizer and .1% Dimension on his grass today that was newly seeded in parts of his lawn late last fall, about Oct 15. His landscaper gave him some starter fertilizer and he put that on two weeks ago. His landscaper said apply no chemicals or pesticides in spring. It looked fairly good. Has not needed mowing yet.

What will happen? How soon can you treat new grass? Has anyone ever killed new grass from applying crab preventer too soon? Actual personal experience.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Read the label. Any combination product will have instructions that will tell you what you can and can't do. If you're timing was bad, then you ought to be asking what to do to correct the problem.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

You should be fine. Generally we wait until the tail end of our round 1 applications to apply dimension to lawns that were seeded last fall. This allows any kb that had not yet germinated to do so. Also, explain to the customer that by not applying the pre-emergent it will cause problems later on when the crabgrass starts to invade their lawn and out compete their new grass.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It will be fine. Applying Dimension after germination takes place will not harm his new grass as long as you follow the application rate. It is also correct that you want it down to prevent the crab grass infestation.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

heres what will happen.

the grass will wind up looking ok and the other guy will put a bug in the customers ear about how much better it would have looked if you didnt come in and gum up the works. either way someones going to ride you on this. i'd tell the guy you'll seed it in the fall and just never do it.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on how it looked and how late (or how slow the germination rate was) when it was put in. Man, I have a few places that I seeded in the fall, and due to improper watering and such, it has been slow going, and I STILL have new seedlings popping up in this grass. The only grass that will make it - especially with Dimension is that that has hardened off during the winter, and that that is tall and mature enough to withstand the effects of the product. Many people don't realize that when a pre-emergent works, it doesn't stop the seed(s) from germinating - it stops the plant from uptaking as soon as it germinates, therefore killing it. With Dimension, his is even more-so volatile to the plants, because it has post emergent properties that are stronger than most other (probably all) herbicides classified as pre-emergents. It is able to kill crabgrass up to it's 3rd tiller stage (I believe it's the 3rd). Now, what kind of effect this will have on normal turfgass plants is a whole different thing...it may not be quite the same for turf grass. Personally, I think you'll be alright. I mean, - YOU saw it...you have a better idea of what we're dealing with, here ( have confidence in you). I'm sure you wouldn't have spread over an area that looked sparse enough that you would figure it is developing (or would be patched in the near future - ...I did that..skipped bare areas that I knew the people would be wanting to reseed, as they usually don't know enough to break the barrier well). I'm willing to bet this area was coming along rather well for you to have hit it.
I DO like the idea of additional starter fert though, - especially if there is younger seedlings still coming up. I seeded about half of my next door neighbor's lawn last fall, and while some of it is coming in beautifully, I can't seem to get through to him the importance of watering right now (it is real dry here). I would MUCH rather be able to just spray it with the rest of the lawn within the next few weeks, rather than have to pamper it with Drive.
Oh, another option for you? Rake those areas off with a poly rake, and you will have the vast majority of material off those areas. I think you'll be alright, though.
Ok,...back to lunch.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My Dimension 2ew says not to apply on turf until it's been mowed 3 times.

How that applies to turf that was seeded last fall, that'll be a wait and see I guess.

I would agree though that the contractor that did the seeding has an out now, if the property is thin.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

mr landscaper didnt know wut he was talking about.If you apply no crabgrass control you will lose the new grass to crabgrass.If you wait till the grass is mature enough and has been mowed a few times put dimension down
Old 05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you're in Michigan and he seeded in mid October, he didn't get much germination if any at all. He should have overseeded in late August or early September, that way he would have had the required 6-8 weeks of growing time to germinate the seed (7-28 days) and to grow the grass blades (21-28 days). He basically wasted his money by seeding that late into the winter and you have no choice but to apply your Dimension in the springtime in order to avoid having Crabgrass issues this year. That being said, I don't think that you'll have any issues whatsoever. If the seed doesn't come in too good, it's mainly because he seeded too late and not because of your application.

It amazes me that people do ridiculous things like this and then try to blame the professional because "it didn't work".
Old 05-03-2008, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anybody here ever do a "dormant seeding? Oct 15 sounds a little early for it but....

My question is...Why did your customer wait until AFTER the first app before telling you the lawn was seeded last fall? Sounds like he was not expecting you to do it.