Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2001, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

control of catails

Does anyone have a good way to control catails around ponds?
Old 12-11-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are there alot of them?(broad area) Or, are they in more narow strips? One remedy would be to swab wand them with Roundup. This way, it wouldn't affect the water. You MAY want to post in the ponds forum. They may be able to help you further on this.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a product made just for this......Rodeo. It is glyphosate without the surfactant. It seems that glyphosate alone is virtually non-toxic to aquatic animals, but the surfactant in Round-up is what will do the damage. There are quite a few studies done by the universities and the government to back this up....have posted a Yahoo search for you to browse

http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=...ails&hc=0&hs=0

good luck
Old 12-11-2001, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Runner last post I praised you this post I will give you the devil cause you know better and were not thinking.

Read the round up label. The label is the law. The A.I. in round up is Glyphosate Isoprogylaimine salt. (YEA I had to look it up to spell) Aquamaster has the same A.I. The differences is the adjuvants and surfactants that are added to this A.I. These addiatives make the difference of whether the chemical works or not in wetland conditions. Round up does not work on grass that is in standing water and aquamaster does.

ROUND UP WILL KILL FISH AND AQUAMASTER WILL NOT. Round up label states that it should not even be sprayed in ditches that are dry to prevent run off to fish inhabited lakes. You will just have to call me "ricky round up" I have spray azillion gallon of it. I have read the label so many times I can resite in my sleep. In Fla. you need a agua lic to spray lakes. Aquamaster does a good job on catails but cost about $250.00 per 2 gallon jug Round up I buy for $90.00 a 2.5 gallon jug.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:23 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
And know for a bonus question.

What was the previous name of Aquamaster?
Old 12-11-2001, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can I answer please please me me meeeeeeeeeeeee

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-12-2001, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric, you are right, and right some more. I wasn't sure WHAT type of area he was in, and didn't know if there was runoff or not, let alone habitat. The law that applies to your state, is the same law that applies here, in this case. You must have an aquatic certification included in your license to be able to do this. And for the bonus question, what WAS the old name of Aquamaster?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Howdy, Rodeo works on cattails. The time of application is important. Fall is the only time I have been able to get Rodeo to work. Tried it in August to see if I could get the job 'out of the way' and ended up doing the job again.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Foster

Rodeo is the old name for aquamaster. Yes catails are hard to kill and fall applys work better because they are dying out. A good apply in the spring on emerging catails will help keep them at bay. Good Luck

Old 12-21-2001, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used........... I mean read somewhere that a product called Karmex (which used to be labled for ponds) might work well.
Otherwise rodeo will do a great job.

There is also a chemical called Eagre we sell a lot of for a pnd herbicide, although I have not tried it myself.

The important thing to remember about any aquatic herb is that if you kill more than a third of the pond at one time you run the risk of killing fish from a lack of oxygen. So any aquatic herb can kill fish.