Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2000, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my "opinion" I disagree with the above statements by Mr Stone. So if I am serious about making a living in lawn care, I "NEED" a license to spread toxic chemicals? And if I don't have one, I will not be able to provide quality lawn care? Tell that to the 10's of thousand guys out there making a good living providing lawn care without this license. I myself am happy making $80k a year (personally) with my unlicensed lawn care company. I guess you don't read our industry magazines showing working partnerships between lawn care providers and thier chemical provider counterparts. As for high state barriers, if you want to work for a licensed applicator for 2 years (I'm sure he'll split up his territory (and money) once you've past) and then pass written exams, etc... and so on.. I think I be more of a leader than a follower and find another source of good income in our industry even though because I don't have a license, I will NEVER get any decent high end jobs because I don't meet the fundamentals of a quality lawn care contractor! When your chemical fertilizers are banned in a few years and I'm out applying organic fertilizers, maybe you'll become one of us peon lawn guys struggling to get some high end jobs! I don't know if you guys know or remember Digital Computer? They laughed at IBM and the pc makers while continuing to make their dinosaur mainframes. Look where that got them!
Old 01-26-2000, 09:12 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Mr lmb1,<p>If you and to give the most profitable part of the lawn care biz away you can do so.<p>I am working up one bid on nine sites totaling 40 acres providing 32 weekly mowings<br>along with an application of preemergence<br>herbicide with lawn fert, a straight lawn fert, liming and tree spraying.<p>This one job for 32 weeks of the year is<br>worth more than your entire yearly (52 week )<br>gross.<p>Requiremnets of this job and most other commercial work require that the contractor be licensed in the trade he is to perform.<p>I guess you won't be at the bid opening?
Old 01-26-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush! I'd rather have my measley 52 week guaranteed pay than your &quot;expected bid&quot;. By the way, I don't work 52 weeks! I take winter off to enjoy my time off. Noticed in your other posts under company size that they all seem to be what you COULD make. I COULD make $1,000,000 next year but I probably won't. You say that a licensed pesticide applicator COULD make $150k a year. And a 4 season grounds maintenance firm COULD make big numbers. As someone who's been DOING this for only 3 years now, I now CHOOSE my accounts from referrals only. I now cater to only 80 of the finest homes in the NH seacoast area all priced at over the $1,000,000. (The amount I COULD make.) And I have sold off 1/3 of my business due to extreme growth to cater to these individuals rather than worry about excessive overhead.(I had 120 lawns) Not bad for someone unlicensed! These are MY facts and not a &quot;wish list&quot; No, I won't be at the bid ceremonies HOPING to get some business. Let me know how much NET you make from this expected bid against my yearly gross. I COULD make more next year to make up for it.
Old 01-26-2000, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for being nasty. I think that everything that we do is bad for the earth and someone should think of the damage too. The movers kill the atmosphere the chemicals pollute everything (lakes, ponds, insect life). I think Someone should think about it that way for once. We can only keep going like this for so long and then it will backfire on us. To me the damage a chemical does even if your have a license is the most important thing and if i overreaceted im sorry but i want someone to see the reality of what they do. Dont think because you have a licence you are any better than the other guy. Because money is not what makes you, its knowing what you had to do to make it.
Old 01-27-2000, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I totally agree with the above statement. I have just renewed my lic. (Orn. & turf, Aquatic, rt.of way). I don't care how much $$$ is involved. The BIG thing here is the long term impact on the earths environment. If you think that there is nothing to this global warming thing... well quite frankly... you're WRONG. We all need to think about long term when using any type of chemical. What are we leaving for future generations? I.e. your children or your grandchildren. Not trying to &quot;get up on my soapbox&quot; but look at what is going on in the world with pollution and our national parks and forests, people getting sick (cancer,is just one of the by-products of our lifestyles) They are DYING! All I'm saying is, if you're going to use the stuff, do it right, get ALL of the required licenses and permits and follow the regulations and use IPM. We'll all be better off in the long run. By the way, I don't ever recall in my 36yrs. seeing a hearse pulling a U-Haul. Not preaching to anyone just stating facts. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2000, 08:15 AM

I think if if Al Gore becomes prez. This argument will be a mute point.<br>Oh man. Now I have a chemical headache.
Old 01-27-2000, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Charles, take a chemical to get rid of that headache!
Old 01-27-2000, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

On a more serious note: The above posts do have merit, I recently tried to &quot;hook&quot; up with a Co. that has a license to spray so I could mow a property. The spec's called for routine applications of this and that. I couldn't do it so I gave the owner (spray guy) a price for the mowing and was going to let him bid on the whole thing. He wound up being the only bidder and was more than the property wanted to spend. It will now go back up for bid again and I still don't have my license. Its not that I had to have it, but it was a high profile site and another 12 month income producer. By not having the license I didn't know what to bid on the property so I let him do the bidding and I was going to subcontract the mowing. Just because you have a license to spray doen not make you a murderer. It kept me from getting that one and will probably keep me out of other doors. I am going to take the exam and get mine and if I need it I'll have it. The company I was speaking of started out mowing grass and now has 1600+ spraying accounts. Needless to say, they don't mow anymore.<p>I agree that chemicals are hazardous to everybody, but I ain't eating the grass its sprayed on or the plants either, I am eating what comes out of fields and trees all around the country. And just as I told Charles to take a chemical to get rid of his headache, how many of us on a regular basis turn to chemicals to ease our aches and pains? There are 2 sides to everything and although it may be a sore subject with some we all need to be rational and use our best judgement. I don't think Groundskeepers was attempting to throw his knowledge around in a bad way, he was merely being informative, and after all thats what you look at this forum for, information. If you don't need what someone is telling or asking discard it like bad e-mail. <p>Nuff said,<p>Homer
Old 01-27-2000, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very true. I did jump ahead of the intended meaning a little or alittle too much. I still feel you should be consious of what your doing. You can explain it but that doesnt make it right. <br>I live close to a lake and there is ecoli bacteria and high levels where the lake had to be shut down because of fertilizer damage. You can try to explain that with all of the other chemicals inevitably used everyday but that doesnt clean up all of the green stuff that still floats around in the lake every year. As for Mr grounds keepr I would like to apologize for acting like that. It seems like you are just trying to help and im sorry for jumping all over everything the way that i did.<p>bdemir
Old 01-27-2000, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The fines for applicating with out a license can be steep.Once you have been caught they will watch you like a hawk.They can also get you for other things like(improper storage,buying restricted chemical without a license,which they can also go after your supplier.improper equipment,like no back flow devices etc)<br>Also most states require a license to apply chemicals as do counties and cities.<br>So you could be fined from all three and not allowed to do buisness there.<br>Trust me if you do it long enough you will get caught or some other company the does it right will turn you in.I have seen it happen.<br>Most dont have a license because they cant pass the test.