Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2001, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

unbelievable!

I was mowing one of my residental accounts th other day when a guy came out to ask me my price. He says that his lawn service just isnt cutting it on a regular basis.(i could tell since the grass was pretty long.) and wanted someone else. Now these homes are about $200 thousand dollar homes on 1/2 acre lots but they are pretty cheap in price for cuts around here ($45-50 month for 12 months) so I tell him that i would do it for 50 a month w/ a 12 month contract and he almost has a stroke. "WHAT" he said
"The guy only charges 40 dollars now and i have a pool in the back yard too". I look at him and say "And what a fine job he is doing" and walk away This guy just stood there looking at me then walked inside. I guess he was use to getting his own way.
As a former "scrub" I will no longer just give my hard work away to anyone.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

might try a different approach

I think if the guy said that to me I might have said "Well the qaulity of work that guy does is obviously a $40.00 job. It actually makes your place look no so good- if you bring me on board for $60.00 a month I'll have your place looking as good as the lawn I'm doing now". "When would you like me to start?"

Cordially,
Sheppard

F-150
Wright Stander 52"
Tanaka 340 trimmer
Snapper 36" wb
Robin nb253 trimmer
Husq edger
Husq 155 blower
Old 12-12-2001, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$50 a month? or per cut?
$50 per month is only $600 for the year.
In florida you cut almost year round.
$50/4 = $12.50 per cut
or $600/34 = $17.65 per cut

This is for a 1/2 acre?? With those prices you couldn't be doing more than just covering biz expenses. Is it like that everywhere in FL?
Old 12-12-2001, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

65 hoss wrote:
This is for a 1/2 acre?? With those prices you couldn't be doing more than just covering biz expenses. Is it like that everywhere in FL?

And you busted my butt at the other place because I thought $82 an hour was high. My $40 an hour is way high for this guy's neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2001, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

formerscrub....

Why are you telling us this? I know that I don't care. The issue has been beat to death. If the guy doesn't want to pay your asking price, don't mow his friggin grass.

You charge what you believe is a fair price and if they want to pay it they will, if they don't want to pay it, so what. Just go mow somewhere else. Don't bit*h about it here.

We are in a business that mows grass and trims shrubs. Nothing special about it. Anybody can do it and it is not rocket science. Lawn work is easy and it IS good money.

So, quote your price, get an answer, and either mow or go home.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This forum gets ruder by the day.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

WHAT'S THE DEAL?!?!

Lately it seems that everyone here has a REALLY bad attitude. I remember a post a while back where someone said that this is like our break room. That being said, it's starting to sound more like a daycare center where a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds can't get along. People come here to vent their frustrations to people that know their situation...LET THEM VENT. If you don't like it don't read the post!!!

And the search feature...I agree as much as the next person that people need to use the search feature (lots of info in the archives). If you see a post that looks like something you have seen time and time again...DON'T CLICK ON IT TO READ IT!!!

I'm done.
COL 3:23
<a href = http://www.lawnsite.com/banners/tlclogo.jpg>
Old 12-12-2001, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This board is all about attitude, especially lately. I wouldn't hire 3/4 of the folks that post here.
Alot of folks come and post questions and are shot down from arrogant posters here, although I agree the search isn't used enough. But its usually "you shoulda had a contract" or "if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't need to ask that question" Duh! I'm sure most of these know it alls don't no squat,and enjoy ribbing someone for the hell of it.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i must agree with the last two posts

now i know in the past ive had confrontations with members and ive made somewhat rude posts but

KPYOUNG whats up your ass man?

the member was telling a story. obviously the experience is one we've all had, and can understand.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-12-2001, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

where about's in fla ? .... either way on east side by the beach that job would be about $75 monthly ..... ornamentals extra ;->

we have a nice neighboor hood like that which a guy does about 50 homes @ $50 .... hard to get in but I have a few in there n charge $75 ....last year he got hurt ask me to cut em ...I told him my rate .....so he had some kids do em few weeks ....those homeowners did not even think of the legal risk they had ...he spray's n all ....one day thou ....he'll be gone

"anybody can mow grass" ....true ....I hire em every summer ....but as an owner you have to have people skills

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com

Last edited by Fantasy Lawns; 12-12-2001 at 05:40 PM.