Register free!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grubs and 2,4-d

I got a call yesterday from a lady who has a large amount of grub damage on a nominally KBG lawn. I say nominally due to the fact that there are large amounts of weeds everywhere. She also has large amounts of clovers, which if i remember correctly, signifies low N fertility. The lawn is old, maybe 30-40 years old, if not older. Anyways, she wanted to know if i could lay down grub control and a weed killer at the same time. As that isn't a question I've had before, I figured I'd ask now, so I could refine my label searching come Monday. all applications would have to be granular, as I lack a spray apparatus. It will also need to be soil'd and seeded in the bad areas, and I was thinking of slit seeding the rest of the lawn to get it somewhat back to snuff.
Thank you.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not licensed then you should "Sub" it out to somebody who knows what they are doing. Not sure about your state, but you can't even put out a granular weed controls or Insecticides without a Pesticide License. Spraying the weeds would be the better way to go. Weed n Feeds are hit and miss. You also can't use a weed n feed and apply seed..............Which you should already know that.

IMO........Just let somebody do it that knows what they are doing until you better educate yourself on Pesticides.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I already passed my general standards, I have to wait for my insurance agent to get the paper work so I can take the applicators license. Yes I know, I would wait what ever the window is to seed. Ideally I would wait for fall as there is less weed pressure, but I believe this is a case of "the jones" keeping up with everything. Around here, everybody is unlicensed or even less educated then I. Its not that don't know how handle/apply its that I have never had this combination before.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Then put down some Top Choice, Fertilize it, spray it with "Drive", aerate the bad areas and spot seed.

Insecticide is not going to bother anything and "Drive" will kill the weeds and will not harm your seed.

Just charge the customer, it aint gonna be cheap. That is what I would do, but if you can't spray, I don't know what to tell ya.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to slit seed the entire lawn applying weed killer is not a good idea before or after the seeding job. There will usually be time restrictions on when you can try to establish the new seed. Why do you want to kill the grubs now? Or were you thinking an preventative application for future infestations? It's really not necessary to kill grubs this late in the spring. They will pupate soon or may have already started. If you think it's in the customers best interest to seed in the fall ( which it is ) why are you going to go against what you know is right? Be extremely clear with this customer as to whats best . Unless you like trouble! If you insist on doing the seeding there are some products as others have said that will allow you to seed. Just get a big check ready to pay for them.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

all good suggestions, thank you!