Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Born2Farm, nice progress. If I were you I would make my next priority turning that FeatherLite into a Stihl trimmer, like the FS 80R. Also, a few more accounts would be great too lol. Just some advice and good luck.

John Deere Z425 23-48" (Mulch, Hitch, Stripe Kits)
3' x 5' Landscape Trailer
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl BG 55 Blower

"Turning Grass Into Cash!"
Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is deffinitly on my list. I will be getting a Km110 with trimmer and edger. Plus sending out around 3000 direct mailers. Time to get serious. Good luck to you. If you ever just wanna chat or talk about business pm me. I like talking to people close to my age about there business.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

#3 Bought 36" Wright Stander, Trimmer, Backpack Blower, Trailer(enclosed & opened) and misc. tools Paid cash for all and have expanded from there.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just started out this year. i have a masonry company so i already did alot of hardscape. i wanted to start mowing lawns so i wnet out and bought a mix of new and used equipment. i bought an exmark 48 inch metro echo power broom straight trimmer. an echo blower. i also bought a used 5x10 trailer and a billy goat leaf loader. i have a little over 3 grand in equipment. i only had 3 clients for my first year and thats only by word of mouth. i hope to get my name out there this year and mow 2 days a week. maybe bump up to 10 clients. (i only do this part time for extra income)
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
So how did you guys start out?

#1 Borrowed or given equipment?

#2 Bought your own small stuff at first (21" etc)?

#3 Started big, with zero turns and tons of commercial stuff?

#4 Or had a similar business - irrigation, landscaping, handyman, etc. and grew from there?

#5 Or anything else?

Just curious.

P.s. decided to not take the traditional poll route, as hardly anybody does anything but vote. Here we can get some real responses.

I'm not aware of any poll like this being around for a good long time. . .
you forgot about #6 deadbeat spoiled kid out of school (no real direction,but mommy and daddy's money)...givin the best the industry has to offer (meaning tools of the trade).to make money to have fun with..LMAO
Old 01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

A truck a mower a trimmer and a broom thats how my dad started up to 27 customers he kept it part time now i am looking to bullid up more being out of school
Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
you forgot about #6 deadbeat spoiled kid out of school (no real direction,but mommy and daddy's money)...givin the best the industry has to offer (meaning tools of the trade).to make money to have fun with..LMAO
I worked with #6 once - a kid with a rich stepdad who wanted to start his own landscaping business, but the stepdad wanted him to get a job on the golf course and get some experience first before he'd pay for all the equipment. The grounds crew would come in a couple of hours on weekend mornings for a quick course setup, and the kid soon got fired for not showing up on the weekends. His stepdad came in and talked to the superintendent and managed to get the kid re-hired. I don't know what became of him or whether he managed to make it as a landscaper or not.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Went big...went to the bank or was on the phone with the bank everyday dealing with tryn to get a business loan after I fially got it I bought out the guy I was workin for and went from there
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats good! buying an establshed company with a good client base is te way to go. im trying to do all of this from scratch. our family masonry biz has been around for 57 years now and never advertised at all. we do all of our work word of mouth and it has worked great. not working out so well for me for landscaping though. i want to find some more smaller commercial properties that i can mow.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it was a lot easier to get started this way. I had thought about doing this when I was younger and got scarred away buy costs and how am I going to get customers. This way I had a foundation to build on