Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My parent's 21" Lawnboy self-propelled mower and later a 42" Weed Eater (Craftsman) rider is how I started.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

#5 for me.Spent 26 yrs in the trucking business.got tired of having constant unsolvable problems and 3am phone calls and sold out.was always cutting down trees for neighbors (they knew we heat with wood)and had a big mower ,little tractor and a few attachments. 6yrs ago bid on some commercial props and landed a few.a local builder hired me to landscape new homes and did about 2 a month until the slowdown.i kept expanding the mowing and now have all the work a 49 yr old man can do.have 1 part timer.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with 2 pair of sciscors and fireplace (hand) bellows! lol
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

started out a few years ago cutting neighbors lawns and a couple friends of my moms. Really started getting serious about it this summer, so I picked up a few more people from my fire hall, bought an Echo SRM-210 and PB-200, threw that along with my Honda 21" in the back of my Jeep and went to town. Towards the end of summer, 2 guys from my fire hall that cut about 10 lawns on the side decided they didn't want to do it anymore so for $500 I got their Lesco 48" WB, all 10 accounts and their 6x10 trailer. Made a deal with my friend to toss him a few bucks to help me out and tow the trailer with his truck and finished out the year strong. Just bought a F250 and am looking to go into 2009 full steam ahead!

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a walk behind and Trailer new. Was given a craftsman hand blower for my birthday from the parents. Buddys parents gave me a bent shaft weed eater. Had a brand new Ford Lightning at the time and I hated to work out of it! Lot of stuff has changed in the last couple of years.....
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's cool hearing all the different stories - keep up the hard work, everybody!

Perfect Image, where do you mostly work in Stl?

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought out a small lco in August 2006. He had 3 Snappers 21's, a weedeater, 3 chainsaws that were big box store type, a worn out Echo hedge trimmer, a Poulan pole saw and 35 bi weekly accounts. Bought a landscape trailer the same day and the rest is history.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After Hurricane Floyd hit NC in 1999, Home Depot was offering no interest financing. I made an offer to my church to maintain the grounds since we were having such a hard time getting members to consistently do it. They agreed at $400/month. It should have been priced around twice that but I didn't know or care.

I bought a Scott's 25/54 garden tractor, Ryobi split-shaft trimmer-edger, and Echo BP blower at The Home Depot. I pulled it with a Ford Ranger and single axle 12' trailer. This was all part-time outside of my job with Pepsi.

Now I'm a full-time firefighter but still working solo (my 14 year old son helps some). I have two F-250s, two trailers, 3 Gravely ztr's, a New Holland tractor, and my revenues have been six-figure the past two years.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

#2 i started with a lowes push mower, blower and trimmer, and stuffed it all in the back of my explorer. i used them for about a year and a half, and saved up and bought a 6X10 trailer and a JD 810A 48 inch and still use the same blower and trimmer for now.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

#1. Used grandparents Toro Personal Pace 21" which they have since given to me...over 10 years and still going strong. Retiring it this year though...

EXMARK, TORO, ECHO