Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2000, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How is the competition in your area? I live in central Florida and it seems that I see at least 100 different mowing trucks and trailers everyday. This is without paying much attention, if we did we would probably see twice as many. I was just curious about other areas.<p>
Old 01-18-2000, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

hey kieth I don't worry about competition in one neiborhood last summer I saw 8 trucks an the sme block I started there with one house by the end of the summer I had 5 year round cust. all in a row and just picked up to more if your quality is better than theirs they will change to you. in my opinion there are 2 kinds of lawn people lawn boys(any body can mow and weed whack) and prfessionals(those who use mowing paterns and know how to use a weed eater and edger. and leave a lawn well manicured not just mowed.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-18-2000, 02:50 AM
jeffclc

Seems like each spring there are a bunch of guys starting up. By the fall, some have disapeared. <p>There are a lot of guys doing this in my area. Seems that they like spending time in the truck though. I will be working on a lawn when a competitor passes by, entering into the neghborhood. They are leaving in 20-30 minutes after completing their one lawn in the neighborhood(2-3 man crew). I am still working on the origional lawn. I just don't see how they can make any money traveling that much. <p>I also see them all over the place. One Saturday, I had the day off, and did a bunch of errands. I was all over the area, and saw many of the guys who work my area as far as a 45-50 minute drive away. <p>
Old 01-18-2000, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used to worry about the competition also. You have to remember that when you started you were being looked at as &quot;new competition&quot; by the others that had been in the business for a while. Now I look at myself as my biggest competition. If you do the best job you can, sweat the small stuff, you probably won't ever have to worry about the others. The ones that are in & out in 30 minute or less are probably the ones that are making money............IF they are doing good work. Thinking of yourself as your own worst enemy will keep you concerned about others moving in on you &quot;turf&quot;. Don't let them have any ammo to use against you!
Old 01-18-2000, 06:41 AM

We are covered up with competition around here too. Even with a good economy and plenty of &quot;real&quot; haha jobs out there. Oh well, I guess they will come and go. I try not to worry about it. Just keep plugging away. Do good work and treat people right and you will always have plenty of work.<br>Charles
Old 01-18-2000, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I am just getting ready to start this year. I am fortunate for the fact that I am still attending school, only starting small, only require meager living to get by, don't have a family to provide for, and have a roommate to help pay my housing payments. With all that said I still worried about competition. Going to local equipment stores I have heard them talk of many big time competitors. I kept wondering how I could compete and break into the field to be profitable(bigtime). Well the fact of the matter is I live in a town of 250,000 some odd. There are many good companies already in the region. But, they can only handle so much client base. This means I have to be as good as them and I'll be getting a piece of the pie. I plan on opening a greenhouse/nursery business in 3-4 yrs. So, the lawn maintenance will only be a small portion of what I plan on doing. This all sets up for my plan to establish myself in the field and not worry about competition. This coming year I will acquire only a few (as many as I can comfortably handle)customers. The area I am going to focus on is a large, high-end residential properties that are 2 minutes from my home(maybe less). The next year I will expand greatly, as I will be finished with classes, and hopefully with top quality and exceptional knowledge, I will be able to acquire several accounts. Another plus is that there are several apartment and townhome communities in my area also. So, there is great room for growth. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I don't want a ton of properties. I want a satisfactory number of customers that will allow me to make a significant profit while providing great service. And the beauty of this is all this can be done within one or two mile of where I live. Find your niche and make the most of it. I kinda came to this plan because I had heard of a guy in Lexington who obtained a foothold in one of the wealthiest areas in town. At that point almost everyone came to him and he had little to no competition because he was the only person in the community doing properties. The area of town was where Rick Pitino used to live when He coached the KY Wildcats. <br>Bottom line listen to the guys above, as I am. Do good work. Get several close together properties. Build on that. Keep close watch on your finances(ie. know where your money is going and why). Your competitor may have double the # of properties as you but, if he isn't as business savy as you are you may be much more profitable in the long run. Ex. my current boss has a large hospital on site property she manages. Well, things are run kinda sloppy and she isn't making near the profit she could if she was a more skilled manager of people and time.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

There's a bunch of lawn cares in my town (probably at least 30). But I'll bet about 15 of them will be gone by next year (and replaced with 15 more new guys). So there's plenty of business, wherever you live. You have to go out and get it. The work is not going to come to you. Just because there are a lot of lawn cares around doesn't mean they're all succesful. Some of them probably only have 10 accounts and just drive around all day so people will think they're busy.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

VWBug, LOL That's too funny!<p>In todays market the competition is for good employees, not customers. There is so much work, so many new homes & businesses and such good equipment compared to 20 years ago. If you can get & keep good employees, the clients are automatic.
Old 01-19-2000, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Homer. We all start out about the same. We don't all reach the same level. When you do get to the point where your product is top quality,you'l find that competition is for the new guys and the mow-blow & go guys. Yesteryear L/S
Old 01-19-2000, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess what I was getting at was not the competition directly, but more like how many others do the same thing in your area. I bet there is well over 500 (maybe a lot more, hard to say) different companies (or mow and go's as Bobby would say) that service within 20 miles of me. I just didn't know if the lawn maintenance industry was that big in other parts of the country.