Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Bonehead move-- seeding after dimension

Not as bad as title might indicate, but I ripped up an entire backyard. Added about 2-3 inches new topsoil. Rototilled real good about 6-7 inches deep. I didn't realize that 0.15% 4lb/1000 dimension was applied to 50% the area about 5-6 weeks ago. So I figure with 1" deep of the original soil treated with dimension, I have about 10% of the total soil mix treated with dimension.

Just seeded last Fri with lesco transition blend. What should I expect in terms of germination? Is the dimension diluted enough to be ineffective? Will the dimension actually hurt the seed, or just prolong germination until dimension wears off?

I'm not crazy about this project in the first place with spring seeding. I just need to figure out how long I'm going to be dealing with it.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be fine - for two reasons (3, actually). First, at 5 to 6 weeks, it will be about done...you will also have around 2 additional weeks before any germination starts. Second, is that being mixed with the other soil, it will be diluted down so much that it wouldn't have any effect. And lastly, the Dimension is gone, and all that is or was existing was the vapor barrier. After tilling, it is completely broken and ineffective, anyway. Just keep it dampened really well (consistently), because with the tilling, you are going to have alot of weed seeds surfaced.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I suspect your feelings about the "dilluting" of the Dimension are pretty well justified.

And you're absolutely correct in your second-guessing about having to deal with this spring seeding project, and the ramifications of pre-emergent.
Seeding in Aug / Sept is one of the primary reasons to avoid this.

It's a shame, though...that we typically have "Sahara" conditions in the late summer/early fall vs. the "monsoon" season we have sometimes in March / April / May.

Oh well....
It's all in the soil temps...to determine good seed germination %.
H20 is the necessary evil that we'll just consider ourselves "lucky" if we get any at all all naturally....WHEN we need it.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better about the chances now.

Soil temps are dead-on right now 65F-75F daily range, and irrigation is keeping things moist. Hoping to keep >50% turf through the summer for erosion control, then overseed in the fall.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The seed germinated just fine. The transition areas along the side yards are a little bare for about 1 foot, showing that the pre-emergent barrier is still intact in the existing turf, but absent in the new turf.