Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time Tracking?

I am looking for time tracking software that I can use with or without QuickBooks. I am upgrading/redoing my chart of accounts in quick books so I can cost track for every item in labor, drive time, materials, within each segment of my business. I want to be extremely accurate. What do you use? P.D.AíS, excel spreadsheets, pen/paper? My office assistant will be entering Labor times, materials, expenses each day, however I need to make tracking easy so I can generate reports as to my cost of goods sold.
I am trying to pinpoint my exact costs to revenue.

Any ideaís greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The simplest way is probably to print up a spreadsheet and enter in times manually. If you have a laptop and a copy of quickbooks loaded on it you could use the "enter time/single activity" time tracking feature. If you're just doing an analysis over a couple days or maybe a week to figure out where you're spending your time those would work but would get very tedious to do that every single day. Maybe a GPS tracking system installed on your vehicle to keep track of drive times if you need that info everyday.

That's great that your tightening up your operation.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am going for the tedious route. I want a whole years worth of information, however try to get over the learning cure.

Thanks for the qb Idea I tried that. Meeting with the accountant today to see if this will be a good solution
Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's an ambitious project. Just out of curiousity, what are you going to do with a years worth of driving time data?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not only drive time, but lawn mowing labor, irrigation repari labor, etc. It is all for job costing. Since I pay employee's at diffrent rates I will only be able to know the $$ amount spent on such labor Items. However I can use this to find my true costs of doing business. I know it sounds extreme, but I am willing to put forth the effort to get a true handle on all my costs.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now that you explain it it doesn't sound extreme, that's how I run my businesses, I have seperate codes for everything. I assign the codes when I sell the job so it gets added to the work order, every job has a work order. The time and materials used are recorded on the work order which get transfered to the time card at the end of the day along with the work code. At the end of the month I know how many hours were worked under each code and I know how much I sold for each code. From there I can determine all kinds of different information.

I don't have employees now but when I did, I didn't account for differences in employees pay. I just averaged them all together because the number I pay attention to the most is my total cost per man hour. Some people charge customers different rates per hour depending on what the employee's paid but that gets complicated.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmatic View Post
Not only drive time, but lawn mowing labor, irrigation repari labor, etc. It is all for job costing. Since I pay employee's at diffrent rates I will only be able to know the $$ amount spent on such labor Items. However I can use this to find my true costs of doing business. I know it sounds extreme, but I am willing to put forth the effort to get a true handle on all my costs.
it is not extreem not by a long shot just don't let quality suffer by the numbers
Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quality is part of the equation. Why pursue a mode of my business if it is not proftable? When I can purse a more proftable mode and improve quality. That is why I am trying to track better. Yes If it is one person, not that difficult to track, however I am adding more employee's and as you all know things change when there is employee's

Please keep the idea's comming in.