Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What would you have done???

I had a call today, customer in a well-to-do neighborhood. I've already been doing a couple of neighbors of his, and over the winter they dropped my name and number to him.

Anyways, we're talking, and I ask over the phone "how big is your yard, do you know the sq. ft. of the turf?" He says "I put down 8-10 bags of fertilizer 4 times per year, 15k sq ft bags".

I thought that's odd, no one in that area has 4 acre yards, they're all about 1 acre of turf.

I said okay, so 8-10 bags per year, right? He said no, 35-40 bags per year.

I said you do realize that you're over applying, right? He said "yes, but I want it thick and green".

I continued on saying that what you're doing isn't really working, it'd be like painting your house 20 times per year, 4 different times of applying 5 coats. The first time would do the trick, with maybe a second coat to touch things up, but after that you're not gaining anything.

I stopped by today and it's about 40k sq ft of turf. I quoted him a price of $160 per app. He said does that include double fertilizing. I said no, that's using the proper amount of fertilizer for your yard.

He said how much more to double fertilize it. I said I would not do that. It's not good for the health of the yard and it's just a waste of product as well as his money.

He said no thanks, that he'll keep doing it himself.

Would you have purposefully overapplied to get the account?? Or just cut back on the application rate and covered the property 3-4 times so it looked like you're overapplying?? Or turn down the account like I did?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NO. Say: "Tthank you, but you do realize that unless the soil is within a certain alakaline/acidic base, your grass cannot absorb any fertilize no matter how much fertilize is available. It's like being drunk; enough booze gets you drunk, drink more than that and it kills you."
Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes let it go,i cant stand a customer that thinks he knows evrything.Why do they even call just do it themselves and have an ugly lawn.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if the customer wants it you'd be foolish not to provide it. set expectations for the customer and get his sig on a contract to tell you that he's the one who advised you to do so. then shortchange him on the fert.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is encroaching on some serious environmental issues as well.

That guy needs an education. Not so you can pick him up, but for the good of everyone.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
NO. Say: "Tthank you, but you do realize that unless the soil is within a certain alakaline/acidic base, your grass cannot absorb any fertilize no matter how much fertilize is available. It's like being drunk; enough booze gets you drunk, drink more than that and it kills you."
can i use that
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
I had a call today, customer in a well-to-do neighborhood. I've already been doing a couple of neighbors of his, and over the winter they dropped my name and number to him.

Anyways, we're talking, and I ask over the phone "how big is your yard, do you know the sq. ft. of the turf?" He says "I put down 8-10 bags of fertilizer 4 times per year, 15k sq ft bags".

I thought that's odd, no one in that area has 4 acre yards, they're all about 1 acre of turf.

I said okay, so 8-10 bags per year, right? He said no, 35-40 bags per year.

I said you do realize that you're over applying, right? He said "yes, but I want it thick and green".

I continued on saying that what you're doing isn't really working, it'd be like painting your house 20 times per year, 4 different times of applying 5 coats. The first time would do the trick, with maybe a second coat to touch things up, but after that you're not gaining anything.

I stopped by today and it's about 40k sq ft of turf. I quoted him a price of $160 per app. He said does that include double fertilizing. I said no, that's using the proper amount of fertilizer for your yard.

He said how much more to double fertilize it. I said I would not do that. It's not good for the health of the yard and it's just a waste of product as well as his money.

He said no thanks, that he'll keep doing it himself.

Would you have purposefully overapplied to get the account?? Or just cut back on the application rate and covered the property 3-4 times so it looked like you're overapplying?? Or turn down the account like I did?
I think you should drop a call to your local dept of enviromental services, and the EPA. Wait I think your customer is the brother of my lady that was telling me how and when to do do tick control.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, the other posts are right ... walk away from the job and just know that you did the right thing !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. You did the right thing. This yard is a time bomb waiting to happen.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds to me like you acted very proffesional.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment