Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny I have worked for several top 50 corporations and they go through extensive background checks,verifications, credit checks and personal and business references and they still have a great degree of employee theft. I guess you have been very lucky or your doing something we all dont know about. But the point of the thread was to notify people about the theft not to criticize his hiring practices or make smart comments, Tex!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpel2004 View Post
That's funny I have worked for several top 50 corporations and they go through extensive background checks,verifications, credit checks and personal and business references and they still have a great degree of employee theft. I guess you have been very lucky or your doing something we all dont know about. But the point of the thread was to notify people about the theft not to criticize his hiring practices or make smart comments, Tex!
I hear ya. and fully agree but he really shouldn't have a issue recovering his equipment or at minimum finding the guy that took it. It was employee theft he has his numbers, his address, his complete name, his Social Security number and hopefully a photo copy of his drivers license and all his references that he checked when he hired the scum bag this shouldn't be a big deal and if the dirt bag hasn't been caught by now with this plethora of info he is required to have by law well then their is more to the story. We are not talking about a weedwacker or a hand held blower hear were talking about a complete rig so a question on hiring standards in this discourse is not inappropriate and should not be taken as criticism But I do agree with you for the most part
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Memphis has got so bad people cut the catalytic converters out from under cars at night. Most everyone I know has had their car broken into and many restaurants and groceries have armed guards. What is the world coming to??

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not"
Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

any luck yet?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

no luck yet

No luck yet. We just hired a investigator to track the gentleman down. Since the local police as of yesterday have not been out to this gentleman's house in the city or his house in the county or realy done much of his anything other than run a cqhon him.

To answer the question as to who we hire. This gentleman came with high recommendation from a subcontractor who has done a lot of work for us over the years. However before we hire anyone else they will submit to a background check since we found out from the police that this gentleman just got out of the pen for grand theft auto. We have had two people apply this week that have backed out of the hiring process when they were advised we required a background check.

We have over 20 employees working for us in two different states and nothing on this scale has ever happened before. We had a employee in 03 try to hock 2 backpacks, 2 trimmers, and a edger. He was caught rather quickly.

Last edited by sfddelta1; 05-09-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: response
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

wow i hope your using that term gentleman really lightly because he is far from it
Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Memphis has got so bad people cut the catalytic converters out from under cars at night. Most everyone I know has had their car broken into and many restaurants and groceries have armed guards. What is the world coming to??

Third World Country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i am using that term loosely. My aunt was sitting next to a tv producer from spike tv this week on airplane flying into memphis. He is doing a documentry on crime in memphis and he told her that if people knew what he knew they would not even drive in memphis.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfddelta1 View Post
Guys we had a employee take off with our 1995 F350 crew cab long wheel base white in color in the memphis tn area. Pulling a black trailer he has assorted string trimmers, backpack blowers, and a honda comercial push mower.
Might have helped if we had the plate # of the rig & trailer.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

yEP MEMPHIS HAS GOTTEN PRETTY BAD OVER THE YEARS. I lived there for 17 years before i got the hell out. I hope you have better luck in the future. My futur brother in lawn does the bed curbing there and memphis and as we all know sooner or later something is gonna turn up missing. We all hope it doesn't but more than likely it will. Good luck