Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2001, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

What is the best kind of Skid Steer Out There?

I was wondering what was the best kind of skid steer out on the market? (new holland, bobcat, gehl, cat,case...etc) The heaviest thing it would have to lift would be pallets of fertilizer(2500lbs) once in a while. I have a Boomer compact tractor now. I luv it. It works real slick. But it just doesn't have the power that i need. Especally the break out force.
thanks
Old 12-13-2001, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
Welcome to Lawnsite, there are many knowledgable individuals who have invaluable opinions on this very subject. Unfortunately, this subject has been explored in depth and to death. Do a search on "skidsteer" and you'll have more info than you can read in a sitting. Just remember to do a search before you ask a new question and that will keep you out of hot water with the Lawnsite crowd. My $.02 is new holland, lx180, bigger skids and smaller tractors.

Scott
Old 12-13-2001, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome !

And follow SCL's instructions and you'll be well on your way.

But I can't imagine how someone from Wisconsin could be looking at anything but a Gehl....
Old 12-14-2001, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new John Deere 250, pretty happy with it so far. Went off a friends recommendation that has alot of experience with a wide variety of brands and also some of his workers that have tried different machines and as a whole they all liked the JD the best. I suppose it will be alot like vehicles and personal preference will play a part. Like I said, he set me up with his salesman and the guy was great to work with, was fair, did side by side comparisons without bashing other machines. He just pointed out what JD had to offer compared to some others, real professional like. I had a CASE dealer meet me out in the field and stood there for 20 minutes bashing every other brand around. If CASE was the best in the world I wouldn't buy from that jacka$$!
As far as lift capacity, my 250 has the weight kit and can lift 2000 lbs. safely, (1750 capacity without weight kit) I haven't tried to pick up a pallet of fertilizer yet but I have picked up pallets of sod, which held 50 rolls. I am assuming that has got to be over 2000 lbs, not sure though. It did make it a little tippy but I only moved it on level ground not too far.
I would say to talk to dealers to get ideas on what they cost and get specs. off the internet on all the machines to do an apple to apple comparison on features and cost. There are so many and thus resulting in so many choices, they are all going to have their pro's and con's. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recomend anything but a Ghel. The city I work for has one and it is one more un-controllable piece of equiptment.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just saw Remo's post.....

Remo, you know what they say about the craftsman who blames his tools?
Old 02-06-2002, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: CAT CAT CAT, great skid steer, very easy to use and manuver. pistal grips no foot pedals and alot of room on the floor. i have my cat almost a year without any problems, just added a weight kit and can easily pick-up a pallet of fert. dealer support is outsatnding and finacing was a piece of cake. not a bad name behind you also. T
Old 02-06-2002, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

in my opinion when it comes to equipment every brand has its pros and cons. what a purchaser must do is decide which brand has less cons that will effect what u will use it for and the most pros for what u will use it for. best thing to do is to DEMO no better way to decide then to use it! i also agree with stonehenge, its all up to the user :-)
Old 02-15-2002, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

how do the pistol grips work? I like the idea of no foot controls, on our LS 190, they are stiff (by design it only has 150 hours) and I have a hard time controlling the machine. But i don't have many hours
Old 02-22-2002, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Everybody likes to tell every new person to do a search. I for one don't mind seeing the same questions asked every now and then, because there are new members with new information or new models are out from last time question was asked with new options or better equipment. Besides, I bet there are not to many new questions that can be asked on this site. Questions that are asked about how much to charge for this lot or this job are kinda stupid to ask as every job is unique and every area of the country is different. Maybe questions should be asked for helpful hints, what tools or equipment can I use for this type of job? This is a good site but I know you can' please everyone