Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2002, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

CAT IS THE WAY TO GO....... I just bought a CAT 246 TURBO its a great machine. I looked all around at Bobcat, New Holland, Case, John Deere but let me tell you there is nothing better than a CAT. Two of my friends have CATS, they love them. You spend 30 minutes with the joy stick controls and you are loving life. My CAT can pick up a pallet of fert, pavers no problem. I was very impressed by the CAT team regarding service, sales & financing. I am so glad my friends showed my way.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a New Holland LS170. I love it. its awesome..
Old 05-19-2002, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the best skid steer for you may not be the best skid steer for me. It all depends on how often you will use it, what type of work you will use it for, how deep your pockets are, etc.

We looked at many different skid steers before finally deciding not to buy a skid steer, and buy a power-trac, with numerous attachments instead. we already have a massey ferguson tractor(loads mulch and dirt, and sometimes used to put debris in dumpster), and towmotor(pallets of salt) for at the warehouse.

you just have to try out as many as you can ,and decide which one will best suit your needs.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Cat 248 that I love! As mentioned, the controls are a dream and very easy to adapt to coming out of a wheel loader or Hydro dozer. The controls and the fact that I'm 10 minutes from the Cat dealer is what sold me. I had demoed Case and John Deere, rented a Bobcat and have used my buddies new New Holland (a disapointment). I still believe the Cat is a friendlier machine.

I've had mine for 3 years and have only greased and changed the oil. No other repairs, other than a hydro hose I pinched on one of the attachments. I regularly off load 3500 lbs. pallets of brick from my trucks although the machine is only rated for 2000.

One other machine that has caught my attention is the new dual steer machine by Bobcat. At the flip of a switch, you go from 4 wheel crab style steering to standard skid steer. This should save a lot of wear on the tires and turf. I'd like to demo one, and as I understand, Bobcat is now offering Cat style controls.

One more note: If you haven't tried one, I highly recommend a 4 way bucket. You wouldn't believe the amount of labor one of these will save you. Once you get the hang of it, you can clean up a pile of dirt leaving behind only a few shovels full. It's very versitle as well, the clamping feature has hundreds of uses. This attachment will pay for itself in no time!