Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2001, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You say that they are asking why you haven't been there, "yet". It sounds like they haven't got any kind of pickup at all, thus far. When is the last time you have been to your LEAST recent job? As someone else stated, it sounds like you're over-booked. If I hadn't seen you in a month - to a month and a half, and I had all the wet leaves smothering my lawn, (by now, there is a GREAT chance for mold and other fungus) choking it out, totally deFEATING the purpose of a season's worth of fertilizer aps., and being tracked into my house, I would be a bit upset, too! These people want SERVICE! Be thankful they haven't called someone else, by now, because we're still getting calls and flagdowns by the late ones. Maybe you should look at subbing a little of it to alieve the congestion. (and the frustration of customers) I'd rather keep a happy customer and just do his seasonal, than to try to get that extra little bit, and lose them. On a bad note at that. A happy customer wil tell 3 people, while an UNhappy customer will tell 6. Think of it this way, also. If you try chasing two rabbits, you will lose them both. Not trying to be hard on you, just trying to be helpful from an outside perspective. I wish we lived around each other, I'd be more than happy to help you out. I hope it all works out for you, and you get them all up. Good luck with it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:52 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by Administrator
Roundup balloons? How professional is that? Do you really think that helps the industry, let alone your business?

Comments like that just about pinpoint your age and how serious you really take your business.

Chuck
I must agree with our esteemed Administrator.

If you deliver your package in a balloon what is left of the balloon will remain on the lawn. Now how professional is that?

Now what I do is have a separate tank and pump (a windshield washer tank and pump from the junkyard) that has the nozzle in the right front fender of my car.

This is a much better clandestine non-selective herbicide delivery system.

Now take the pebble from my hand grasshopper.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ROTFLMAO!!
Stone when you got it...you got it!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking

LMAO! That is too funny!

Hank
Old 12-13-2001, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i think some of you guys were missing my point, this has nothing to do with "subs" or being "overbooked". the system we use worked well for six years, cutomers knew the approx. date give or take a day or so, it seems like this year those who have scheduled date for 2 weeks from now are demanding to be done yesterday regardless of how they were done in the past, i was just trying to see if you guys had normally queit people turn very demanding out of no where, thats it. T
Old 12-13-2001, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand what you're saying, but the middle of December IS late. Even if they ARE scheduled and told it would be that late, that's too long to wait! You have to figure, aLOT of people like to have their Christmas lights and decorations out by now. What do you do in THIS predicament, with all the extension cords, and lights in the bushes? You have to remember, these people are tracking all this stuff in, and in MANY cases, we could have snow already on the ground. This doesn't happen with your Spring cleanups, too, I hope, does it? Who would want to wait until the middle of June? Again, I think overbooking MAY be an issue here. Atleast a work to manpower situation may be at hand, if it takes this long to get through them. When you give them a late date, they may not like it, but they just go along with it, because, well, what ELSE are they gonna do at that point? Another idea would be, that, what if you were to just go in with your mower once in a while, like every two weeks or so, and do some shredding, real quick. It would keep those leaves shufled up on the surface, which then you wouldn't have all the decline, which is inneveitable. Also, it would keep your customers pacified, so to speak, because they're not looking at the same clumps of wet leaves at their front door, week after week, and you're keeping their drive, porch, and walks clear as well. This would take a little time out of your cleanup time, but would be worth it for the customer satisfaction, and the ease of cleanup, as the leaves would come up easier if they haven't been matted down for 2, 3, or 4 weeks. Just an idea.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 12-13-2001 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

roundup BALLOONS?

You gotta be kidding, right?

I pull my 25HP pressure washer up and empty a gallon of roundup super concentrate into 80 gallons of water.

Use a flat wand. You can NUKE an entire front yard in 30 seconds flat!!!

Nobody messes with me. Those that do are LIVIN IN FEAR OF A DRIVE-BY!!!

Yo! Straight G!!!
peace!
Old 12-13-2001, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could use my 200gal Lesco sprayer, will shoot 100'+ on high pressure.

I've done it in the past at night, with a back pack sprayer, and wrote some nasty words in the lawns.

But come on guys, let's grow up here. I was 16 when I did that.

Back to topic:

General Grounds, we are not busting your chops, we read what you had wrote and decifered in our own train of thoughts.

It does sound like what runner said, short of man power vrs work amount issue.

I would personaly complain also if I was stuck waiting 2 months for my leaves to get picked up, or to do whatever with them.

There is no proven method to keep customers from comlaining, but I would rethink your secheduling situation. And/or your business plan for next leaf season.

I have found the best way, is to give them their choice on how many clean-up's to keep them from calling.

More guys out working, many more times the clean-up's, more money for you. Less leaves each time.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if i was short labor and to much work why is it a problem this year and not for six years now, 80% of my customers ask to have final leave pick-up after dec15, so i quess thats my fault many are not done yet, and im short labor,again people who had previuosly prefered to be picked up late all of a sudden need it right away that all i was saying.T
Old 12-13-2001, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: P.S., had a fewe beers with 4 other landscaper buds of mine and they are also still doing leaf pickup and are saying the same things about there customers that what made ask you guys, does this mean were all under staffed with to much work. Many lawn care peopleare still doing leaves here, the recycling place says up 40 landscapers come in in a day. T