Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2001, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quick books question??

Hey guys. I just got the QB pro 2001. I am trying to get this set up and boy am I overwhelmed. My knowlegde gets shakey when it comes to tax stuff. My question is I am trying to this years wages I paid out to a part time helper. I got his YTD entered correctly, but when setting up the payroll it wants account # for indiana social security and such. Do I have to enter this information. I plan on sending this employee a W-2 but I have not withheld anything this year. I was to do this right, but I just don't know how to get it done. Do I need to send in the quarterly payments late for him?? How do I get QB to let me proceed to get him a W-2? I am lost. Thanks for any help. Joe
Old 12-14-2001, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion

Since you didn't withhold anything on this employee, switch his information over to the vendor list and send him a 1099 at the end of the year.
There are no stupid questions... they're just the easiest to answer.

Old 12-14-2001, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can find advisors on the Intuit website someplace, maybe under support.

There are several in my area. Some are accountants and some are bookkeeping services. Me thinks it would be money well spent to work with a local expert if available.

The other thing that should be changed is the chart of accounts depending on how you set up. Contracting (service/contruction)is different from retailing. The problem isd in what is defined as overhead for many people. To get useable numbers you must be defined and organized properly.

An example is production equipment. Many people call equipment used in production as well as the office overhead expense. That is not true. You have fixed expenses, overhead and variable expenses, production costs tied directly to a job(s). Only non-production expenses are overhead, indirect or fixed expenses as they are refered to. Examples, computer, sales vehicle, phone, office supplies and on and on. Equipment taken out and used to produce a job is not overhead but a direct (variable) production expense. You wouldn't need that F450 dump truck and trailer if you didn't have work to do. But you will need that F150 pickup you do estimates and errands with whether you sell no jobs or 100 jobs. That is overhead. The expense always exists if you are selling or not and it can not be tied specifically to producing individual an job(s).