Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2000, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is time to point out to many new operators in the grounds maintenance industry that you are now working in the service industry. This means that you are dealing with people, and often you are dealing with something very personal, the person's home. If you are not ready to deal with the myriad personalities of people, go to a factory where you can just cuss the boss and the machine. <p>People are most often really not buying a service based on value, but on percieved value. The person(s) providing the service guide this perception. Give me two operators in grass cutting with exactly the same equipment, and the one who takes the time to (appear to) present a personal service will go much further. Yes, you can do exactly the same job on three houses in a row, and have each homeowner believe that his job was special. Just observe a good waitress manage her tables in a lunch rush. And you deal with much fewer customers than the waitress. <p>Until you can realize that you are selling a service, and you must have people who appreciate your service to make a living, you are headed for unhappiness. To dictate to a client what you will do and how you will do it may be possible in the present economy; you would have starved if you tried this during most of the last century.<p>Look at one example of a service business, transportation. Ocean liners, stagecoaches, passenger trains and city busses died - while their freight components prospered - in private industry, because the respective industries didn't need to coddle to fussy individuals and keep up with new ideas. It is always easier to deal with objects than deal with people, because the objects can't complain if they are (or aren't) offended.<p>If you want to be a success, and be happy getting there, learn how to deal with people first, and learn how to recognize the people you personally cannot deal with and stay away from these. Most of all, just because you had a client for 2 weeks or 20 years, you should not count on them a permanent - you always need to let them know they are special. And don't forget PERCEIVED VALUE - you guide it.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GroundKprs
Old 07-31-2000, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

good.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage
Old 07-31-2000, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you. I hope that each and every forum member reads this.
Old 07-31-2000, 08:12 AM

Well isn't that special. Charles&lt;~~~doin the Church Lady dance
Old 07-31-2000, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I prefer large commercial customers. You do the work you get paid. And best of all you only have to kiss butt once a year. Shortly before the contract needs to be renewed. I don't have the time to make every old ladies lawn look like a million $$$.
Old 07-31-2000, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

::I don't have the time to make every old ladies lawn look like a million $$$.::<p>I can make the time, but best get paid in kind.<p>Jim, good post. Business and industry skills make up only a part of the overall package for success. Although the customer isn't &quot;always right&quot; as often speculated, one must learn to express that the right way as well. Customer relations.<p>Learn it. <p>-TGC, Back from vacation!<br>
Old 07-31-2000, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Barkleymut, I don't know where you got the idea that commercial accounts only need attention at contract renewal time. Granted, they don't require the hand-holding that residentials do. Still, reporting to the site manager about the services rendered, problems found and suggested additional work is a valuable form of attention. It is part of good service and a good way to get more work.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good post Jim;<br>seems like serving people with a smile is fast becoming a dying art.<br>Today's incoming bunch want the money & they want it now (not all but most), & screw the customer. I'll just get another one. That is until the economy takes a dive & customers are dropping like flies. It's a rare art form to serve people, glad it's a somewhat difficult task, because that helps weed out the fly-by-nighters.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 08-02-2000, 08:06 PM

To be serious though. I try to perfect every job i do.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wasn't trying to criticize anyone's finesse with lawns, Charles. It's all about dealing with the customer. You wouldn't be around if you couldn't deal with people in this business. Look at how many guys fuss about the customers thinking they're gouging them, but then how many guys also fuss about how the machinery dealers are getting rich off them. Turnabout fair play??<p>BTW, found a good place for the whiners: www.pissandmoan.com. Forum there is under construction, but site is active. Ain't the web a great place?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana