Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Root Feeder?

I have searched the net for over an hour.....and can't find a "root applicator" of any kind!

I have seen them and know what I am looking for, but don't have any names or must not be using the right terminology when searching.

I am looking for an application device to apply fertilizer (deep root) and possibly Merit for Ash Borer.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
RC
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I have searched the net for over an hour.....and can't find a "root applicator" of any kind!

I have seen them and know what I am looking for, but don't have any names or must not be using the right terminology when searching.

I am looking for an application device to apply fertilizer (deep root) and possibly Merit for Ash Borer.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
RC
bg sprayers makes mine . lesco sells a deep root injection feeder
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1510
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a custom built soil injector but I also have a chemlance and that's the one I would go with.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like PHS, I prefer the Chemlance (available from www.westheffer.com/). Very lightweight, adjustable to different heights so you can reach under shrub canopies, optional splash-guard, attaches to a standard JD-9 gun in minutes. Nice piece of equipment but a little pricey. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked around on Westheffer's website and the one I'm referring to is called the "HD8 Heavy Duty Surface Root Feeder". Another bit of advice..if you go with something like this or the clunky, Rittenhouse thing, be certain to get a heavy duty ball valve and quick-disconnects so you can attach/connect easily when swapping between materials.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for the EAB there are BETTER ways to apply the insecicide, pentra bark with merit and a new insecicide that i saw at the expo here in indy, they are both applyed to the baisel (trunk) of the tree and are faster in the uptake of the insecicide. give me a day or to to get the info to you. (and yes they are both LABLED for you state)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Safari is what is being applied with pentra-bark.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chemlance

Huge ditto veggie........Westheffer bought most of the original ChemLawn stuff after the Duke family sold. The Chemlance is the best of the best. I've used it since 1978 when the original gun was made up of local hardware parts. Shortly after, the plastic ChenLawn gun was used. Then the J-D9 gun was used as it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegomatic40 View Post
Like PHS, I prefer the Chemlance (available from www.westheffer.com/). Very lightweight, adjustable to different heights so you can reach under shrub canopies, optional splash-guard, attaches to a standard JD-9 gun in minutes. Nice piece of equipment but a little pricey. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a picture of the root feeder I use primarily, well part of it anyway. The only assembled ones I have are at the shop. A 1/2" pipe connects the two together. A more direct connection to the gun, larger diameter pipe, and sturdier ground plate are the reasons I use it instead of the chemlance for the most part but the chemlance is way better than the rest of the crap out there.
Attached Images