Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Briggs & Stratton 17hp - problems starting

I recently purchased a used Craftsman Riding Mower. This mower has a Briggs and Stratton 17hp OHV motor. I went to start it tonight and it cranks really, really slow and doesn't start. I did a little internet searching and came up with pulling the spark plug to see if it cranks. Once the spark plug is removed it cranks really well (like normal), but when I put the spark plug back in the engine cranks really, really slow again.

I believe it to be some type of compression problem....perhaps too much compression? Honestly, I don't know what to do and how to find the problem. If anybody has any ideas on what I can try, please let me know. I'm debating on getting a socket to fit the nut on top of the engine and try to start it with my impact air gun but don't want to mess something up.

TYIA.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateS View Post
I'm debating on getting a socket to fit the nut on top of the engine and try to start it with my impact air gun but don't want to mess something up.

TYIA.
Unless you have your funeral arrangements pre-planned then I do not recommend you try this at all. My first suggestion is to make sure you have a good battery. Do you have a good digital multimeter ? You can jump with another battery but if it is in a truck do not run engine while jump starting.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXDISS View Post
Unless you have your funeral arrangements pre-planned then I do not recommend you try this at all. My first suggestion is to make sure you have a good battery. Do you have a good digital multimeter ? You can jump with another battery but if it is in a truck do not run engine while jump starting.
It has a new battery, though I tried jumping it just in case and the same happened. It's not a bad battery though, because removing the spark plug lets it crank over like normal.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to make sure the battery is good AND charged.
Any "used" battery is suspect.

Assuming you have a good, charged battery and the problem persists, you may need a valve adjustment. Too much lash and the compression release doesn't work.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so is this a new battery that was installed before you recently purchased the mower or do you know for sure this is a new battery ? You say it is a new battery so do you have a multimeter digital tester ? Wanted to check voltage drop when starter was engaged. Furthermore post the Craftsman model # if possible so we know which engine this is. Model should start out 917._ _ _ _ _ _ .
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like Kapuan said. After we rule out the electrical side of the problem then you could need to adjust valve lash.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay....I dont' know 100% that it is a new battery, but was told that when I bought it. I guess it's true that I shouldn't just take the guys word for it and he might have just been "making a sale.

Also, if it cranks fine with the spark plug removed, then could it still be a low battery. I also tried jumping the battery with a fully charged battery pack jumper and no change.

I suppose I could take the battery to autozone to have it tested. Do you guys know of any online instructions on how to adjust the valves?

My mower has no part numbers or anything on it. I've looked everywhere but all it says on the side is Craftsman and then 42" cut 6 speed.

The motor stuff printed on the top says:

Model - 311707
Type - 0132-E1
Code - 98011320
Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That'll work. Craftsman usually has tractor model # stickers under seat. fyi.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXDISS View Post
That'll work. Craftsman usually has tractor model # stickers under seat. fyi.
Ah....thanks. I looked everywhere (I thought) and couldn't find the model number.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay...just checked and the Mower's Model Number is 917.270710