Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2001, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

32 hydro?

I use the scag lineup I do almost all res and go through alot of gates i use a 32 belt drive I want to get a 32 hydro but scag only makes gear drive can anyone help me find a good mower with pistol grips
Old 12-16-2001, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's SCAG?

Is that some spooky new STD?:blush:
Old 12-16-2001, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know of ANYone that makes a 32 hydro, but why don't you just go with a 36? There isn't a gate made that a 36" won't go through, unless it has walls on both sides of it. I understand there is some company named "S" mart, or "X" mart, or SOMEthing like that, that is supposed to make a pretty nice one.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
There isn't a gate made that a 36" won't go through, unless it has walls on both sides of it.
Huh?
We have a number of clients that have a narrower gate. Some won't even allow a 32" thru, gotta go with a 21".
Old 12-16-2001, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a trick to it.
I used to put a 52" through a 40" gate all the time.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah ?????????
Old 12-16-2001, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, let me see if I can find the thread with the "carefully written instrukshuns".

O.k., found them. Here we go.

52" cut through a 36" gate. I do it all the time. With the gate open, pull the mower up and turn it sideways.(not up on it's side, but facing the same way as the length of the fence) Roll it back just a little, and stick the sied edge of the deck into gate opening. If the gate opens to th left as you're looking at it, then stick the right side through first. If the gate opens to the right as you're looking at it, then stick the left side through first. This is only if the gate opens inward-if it opens outward,(toward you) then it is the opposite of this. Now, once you have the edge of the deck poking into the gate opening, shimmy the mower toward the fence (pivot the front and pulling the back sideways) so the rear tire goes right up against the pole. Now, this SHOULD be the pole opposite the one with the gate. Pull the mower back slightly and pivot the whole mower so that the post goes between the front of the back tire, and the rear of the deck. (that little gap) As you pivot the mower in, the front caster(s) will hit the gate and post. Push down on the handlebars to raise the front of the mower (keeping the other post still tucked in that gap) and follow through with the pivot - the front casters will roll or rub on the gate at what ever height they are at (usually about 18" or so) Make sure your casters are swiveled inward of the mower to shorten it's length. After you pivot it straight, set the front end down, and wha-lah! you're in! When coming back out, repeat, only I pull the back of the mower through first, then tick it in to the post and lift. Also, I try to do this on the opposite side of my battery. I know this sounds like alot, but it really isn't all that bad, as I have just explained it in detail. The whole procedure takes only about 30 seconds each way. Once you do it a few times, it comes naturally.

Old 12-16-2001, 04:11 AM
casey

Re: 32 hydro?

Quote:
Originally posted by scagman
I use the scag lineup I do almost all res and go through alot of gates i use a 32 belt drive I want to get a 32 hydro but scag only makes gear drive can anyone help me find a good mower with pistol grips
Exmark Viking 32 hydro. As usual the leader determines the pace.
But you'll have to make due with superior ECS controls.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
There's a trick to it.
I used to put a 52" through a 40" gate all the time.
A 52" thru a 40" is easy.

I'm not as convinced about a 36" thru a 28" gate, though, perhaps you could elaborate.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Encore was still making 32" hydros a while back.