Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2001, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

need advice on fertlizer

Hey guys! You might remember me from a previous post. I'm moving to georgia in march to start a lawn care service. I have most of my equipment already. What I "know", I've pretty much learned from here. I am still a rookie, but I'm trying hard to learn. I get on here everyday and read, read, read.

Anyway, I sent out a bunch of mailers, and put a return post card in there with it, so the potintal customers could just write down what they would be interested in, and drop it in the mail box. Well, now I'm starting to get them back. -- Yeah, its a little intimidating. Considoring, I don't have much "hands on". But, I will get over that, cause I can't wait to get started. I will do good work, because I love working outside, with plants, trees, grass, etc. And, I'm learning so much from here.

I've learned alot about how to charge, considoring the entire "overhead", labor, time, etc. I feel confident with that part of it.

I'd like you to read my first post card, the customer was to write what service was needed. Here is what he wrote.
=========================================
" Service agreement (march-november) Grass cutting, Edging, tree care, fertl., weed control, overall manicure, change mulch/flowers - 3 times a year, (march, august, november)"
=========================================
This is for a hotel,, and as you can see, they want pretty much everything. I will be in GA. over the holidays, and will do my esitmates while I'm down there.

But, what I need advice with, is "applications". Fertlizer and weed control. From reading your posts, I understand I need a licence to to this? Or can I it with certian chemicals that I can by from wall mart? Can you suggest what I should do/use for this part of the service? Should it be subed out?

Also, they want new flowers in march and november. In georgia, it seems kind of pointless to plant flowers in novemer, and march may even be a little earley. As far as frost goes. What do you think about that?

I hate to just come on here and ask for stuff, when I don't have much to offer. I guess I will in time though. For now, I can say that the included post card with a stamp on it works GREAT. I just bought some card stock from walmart and made the card on the computer. All the customer has to do is write down what they want, and drop it off. Oh yeah, stamps for the card are only 21 cents. thanks alot for the help !!!

"
Old 12-18-2001, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flipper, you can apply fert in the state of GA, but you can not apply any form of herbicide. You will need to get your applicators lisence. If you get caught you may face a stiff fine. If you land the job with the hotel you may want to sub out the spraying to a company in your area. I think your idea is a good one about sending out cards to potental customers.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2001, 08:12 PM
Sponsor

What part of Georgia are you moving to. I would be happy tpo recommend a fertilizer program for that area. I am a fertilizer rep for Lebanon Turf Products and do a tremendous amount of business in Georgia.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

license to fertilize?

what makes one have to have a license to fertilize? Is it that one can fertilize ones own yard, without a license, but if one charges for other yards one has to have a license? And where do I check for the laws on this, in Indianapolis Indiana? TIA
Old 12-20-2001, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: license to fertilize?

Quote:
Originally posted by mlh1598
what makes one have to have a license to fertilize? Is it that one can fertilize ones own yard, without a license, but if one charges for other yards one has to have a license? And where do I check for the laws on this, in Indianapolis Indiana? TIA
This varies somewhat by state. In Missouri, if you are applying fertilizer only, you don't need a license. If it has anything else in it, you must be licensed.

It is probably regulated by your state department of agriculture.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Bruce Stansberry

Thank You, I am learning how to get info here. I posted my question in the wrong forum, to start with. Soon as I had the right forum I had my answer. I will go find my state department of agriculture, web sight. Thanks again, Mike