Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2001, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

putting a sulky on a gear drive

I have a 32 scag gear drive I would like to put sulky on it but like most gear drives it doesent have much of a reverse I see alot of people with them on their gear drive mowers but i just cant see how it would work well if there is a technique please let me know it will save me alot of walking
Old 12-16-2001, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I solvd that by changing the pistol grip to a Toro T bar. I had a 48
Scag w12 Kawi put T bar on it used a Locke sulky, later bought a
52 Lesco w 17 kawi with T bar shift to reverse and engage. no
problem Would go backwards. This was my rider till I bought a Scag STHM rider. I use the sulky as a back rider if Scag is down.
Cost of the T bar $ 250.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it's gear drive, just make sure you get the swiveling type that pivots, not the solid mount that just has the pivoting wheels. The pivoting ones pull alot easier for the machine, especially when cornering. With the solid mounts, the machine has to swing your weight around, and with only one side pulling (turning) this drags the machine down considerably. This time really adds up over a day. The pivoting ones move alot easier. Not as easy for backing up, but with gear drive, you're probably jumping off the sulky to back up anyway. I would just sort of kick mine a bit, keeping it straight while pulling the machine back. The main thing, is that you're not going to be doing a whole lot of backing up, anyway. With a hydro, it has more direct pulling power, AND it has a strong reverse, so the solid mount is better suited for this application.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude.. PRO SLIDE

I run a pro slide on my 36" wb and my 48" wb, both are belt drive.. Dont like hydros personally... The PRO SLIDE enable s you to get off , just step off the slide and the unit retracts ,, byitself... And you can easily go in reverse... Regular sulkies you have to get off and then lift it up and hook on with chain or try to do it with out doing that and bash up your shins or what not...

Look into a proslide.... ( I should get commision from them LOL )

www.novae.com
Old 12-17-2001, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oooppss

Sorry guys. thats the wrong link it's

www.novaecorp.com
Old 12-17-2001, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Velky

Look into a one wheeled velky, made by Velky. Thats what I have on my Exmark Metro HP 48". It works great. I must tell you that I haven't put my walkbehind into reverse in over a year. Just use the slope of the land and give a little pull on the inside wheel to get it to reverse when turning. The one wheeled designed swivels underneith so you dont back it into yourself. Works great for us, but I deffinately prefer the Lazer Z
Old 12-17-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Be careful the trans. on most belt drives aren't designed for pulling a sulky. My 36" Kees wears out the chain much faster with a sulky on it. Also be careful on going downhill on a sulky, most mower brakes won't stop you sitting on a sulky. I have had a few close calls on hills and ditches. Most belt drive mowers are really scary on hills. At least to me, 98% of my mowing is on flat yards
Old 12-17-2001, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Go out and get yourself a one wheeled sulky, mount it up so that it is as level as you can get it, and mow away. We run 5 WB's (John Deere, Bobcat, and Exmark) all with gear drive, and have had sulkies on them for over 5 years with absolutley NO problems at all. Why is everyone so worried about backing up???? Our mowers only make $$ and cut grass going forward..we plan out our stripes, making dips into tight areas as part of the end of the stripe. As for unloading off the trailer, just get on it, back off slowly using the brakes to steer. You will get the hang of this in a days time...usually the lawn just after running the mower up onto the sulky as the customer is watching you unload !!
Old 12-18-2001, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No Sweat L/C wrote:
My 36" Kees wears out the chain much faster with a sulky on it.

Most modern walkbehinds don't have a chain.

SCAPEASAURUSREX wrote:
Regular sulkies you have to get off and then lift it up and hook on with chain or try to do it with out doing that and bash up your shins or what not...

One of the rules here at Lawnsite is you're not allowed to bash something unless you've at least tried it. Single wheeled sulkies have a joint in the middle of the arm so the sulky swings neatly under the arm when backing up. It takes no more effort to back up with a single wheeled sulky than it does with a Proslide.

Old 12-18-2001, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rich

Rich, Maybe so with a single wheel sulkie, but not so with the dual wheel, also .. what happens when you turn?? The single wheel jackknifes with the mower and you on it.. Not my idea of fun... Also I have tried them >>>> just don't use em.. cause of what I have already stated..