Register free!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately NOT orchardgrass

Orchard grass is lighter in color, and the stems are folded flat. It might be fescue, but I would have to see it peeled at the root area, peel it like an onion, and look to see if there is a purplish stain there, if so, its fescue.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
I'm not seeing any clasping auricles there guys. It can't be Quack since it doesn't have them. I'm with Larry. I'm going vote for orchard grass. If it was Johnson grass, it would have that trademark white stripe running down the blades.
there are clasping auricles. it was in a clump though. does quackgrass grow in clumps? i didn't see any rhizomes like quackgrass has that is what threw me off.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of exactly WHAT it is.....I'm guessing the next question is how to control it?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkosar View Post
there are clasping auricles. it was in a clump though. does quackgrass grow in clumps? i didn't see any rhizomes like quackgrass has that is what threw me off.
Quack does grow in clumps. We may not see any rhizomes...but there are also very little roots showing.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also find many of these broadleafed grassy weeds often hard to identify. Dallas, quack, goose? let me ask this question, as it is my inpression that most of my customers with grassy weed problems seem to have all three of these... along with some annual rye and others.

What do you folks recommend as a good (maybe tank mix) general purpose grassy weed killer? (I know a shovel and seed is likely the most efficient means, but let's not go there)

In another thread, I mentioned inquiring to the manufactuurer (Bayer) what I might use in a mix with Acclaim, and they say they frankly, in so many words, don't recommend mixing. They did have data for one mix, Fusilade.

In NY, the paperwork trail for legal apps is a killer.... that is why I want to keep whatever my app arsenal bag of tools might need to be at a minimum. I'd like to use the same mixes for broadleafs, grassy weeds, and whatever for both inventory management and paperwork trail reasons.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I also find many of these broadleafed grassy weeds often hard to identify. Dallas, quack, goose? let me ask this question, as it is my inpression that most of my customers with grassy weed problems seem to have all three of these... along with some annual rye and others.

What do you folks recommend as a good (maybe tank mix) general purpose grassy weed killer? (I know a shovel and seed is likely the most efficient means, but let's not go there)

In another thread, I mentioned inquiring to the manufactuurer (Bayer) what I might use in a mix with Acclaim, and they say they frankly, in so many words, don't recommend mixing. They did have data for one mix, Fusilade.

In NY, the paperwork trail for legal apps is a killer.... that is why I want to keep whatever my app arsenal bag of tools might need to be at a minimum. I'd like to use the same mixes for broadleafs, grassy weeds, and whatever for both inventory management and paperwork trail reasons.
Whitey,

Grassy weed ID is actually pretty simple

Before you try and ID grassy weeds, you just need to know the parts of the plant that are key for IDing grasses.

Ligule
Auricles
Leaf Sheath
Root System
etc.

There is a great chart in every weed ID book that allows you do look at the parts of the plant and it will tell you which weed it is!

Let me know if you need any info on this.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rodney, is "Weeds of the Northeast" a good reference for grassy weeds? Not being in the NE, you may or may not know the answer..... but it's pretty cheap, like under $30 with shipping. The other book I have my eye on is the Ortho ... forget the exact title.... it's a HUGE book on all sorts of diseases, and runs $200. I think it's like 450 pages, full of pics.

I'm off to a good start me thinks, but man, so much more to learn..... it's easy to see a grassy weed, but without great close up pics and stuff.... very hard to ident. I want the magic bullet.... one tank mix for all grassy weeds... and it likely does not exist.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any who, the op asked if Drive would kill it. IMO, no.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Rodney, is "Weeds of the Northeast" a good reference for grassy weeds? Not being in the NE, you may or may not know the answer..... but it's pretty cheap, like under $30 with shipping. The other book I have my eye on is the Ortho ... forget the exact title.... it's a HUGE book on all sorts of diseases, and runs $200. I think it's like 450 pages, full of pics.

I'm off to a good start me thinks, but man, so much more to learn..... it's easy to see a grassy weed, but without great close up pics and stuff.... very hard to ident. I want the magic bullet.... one tank mix for all grassy weeds... and it likely does not exist.

Weeds of the NE is an awesome reference for grasses and broadleaves! I would definitly get it for that price! The thing that is nice about that book is that it show you pics of the weeds at different sizes, root systems in some cases, seeds, and the plant when flowering etc. This book at 380 pages of ID and info!

Some books only show you small seedlings....or fully mature plants.

It has a great ID table in the very back for grasses!

You will find it a very good book!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Weeds of the NE is an awesome reference for grasses and broadleaves! I would definitly get it for that price! The thing that is nice about that book is that it show you pics of the weeds at different sizes, root systems in some cases, seeds, and the plant when flowering etc. This book at 380 pages of ID and info!

Some books only show you small seedlings....or fully mature plants.

It has a great ID table in the very back for grasses!

You will find it a very good book!

X2! I have the book. Another plus is the book is small enough to keep in the door pocket of my truck, and pull it out whenever I get the chance to ID another weed. It has come in very handy.