Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2001, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

advertising idea

Just wanted to thank everybody that replied to my other post on getting a Z or a compact.I checked it out and the Z does go alot faster than the tractor at about half the price!Anyway sitting around thinking of advertising ideas for the spring.Im thinking of putting a sign in my yard out of like a 4x8 sheet plywood painted of course with company name and phone #.I live along a fairly rural road,but have alot of subdivisions going up all around us,and the road is pretty busy during the day.I guess I would have to get a permit from the city.i dont know if my neighbors would like it,but the houses are spaced pretty well(2 acre lots).anybody else have good luck with this ultra cheap way of advertising?------Mike klein
Old 12-17-2001, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have it done by a pro

There's no way I could pull that off in my neighborhood, not to mention we live at the end of a culd a sac. But if I were to do something like this I know I would have the sign professionally made. There is nothing worse than seeing a cheaply made advertisment, people directly relate that to one's work. You want the customers to be impressed with what they see from the very start, even if its not a lawn.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Either put magnetic signs on your truck, or have it lettered. Then set it out in front, with equipment loaded ready to work.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 12-17-2001, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Merely my opinion, but that just doesn't appeal or seem professional to me. It's one thing to have it on a commercial building site(like the actual business shop) but on a homeowners lawn, seems a little rinky-dink. Just my opinion though.
Glad you decided on the z, it will be your better choice of the two.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like Altalawncare suggestion. Sounds like a clean approach to quality and low cost advertising.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, Putting a sign up that is, reason I would'nt put the truck and equipment there is because the house and polebarn are 800' off the road. Might have somebody try to steal something. But ya I'm putting a sign if it goes thru with the zoning or who ever I have to check with. There is a place that makes signs like what were talking about close by, they laminate them, put reflective letters, or whatever kind you want. Have'nt got a price yet but will soon. I have a ? on what goes on the sign, Keep it simple or list what you all do. Also I'm located on a very busy road, on slight of a curve, so I might but a sigh, consisting of 2 in like a V shape. See ya
Old 12-17-2001, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you put a sign in the front of your yard,get it done at a sign shop.Have your phone number,name,and your main service listed.You only have a few seconds for the driver by to see the sign.If you do an ad on trailer one side would be name,phone number. The other side you could list several services you provide etc.Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the best advertisement is the type that is displayed on your truck or trailor. A customer looks at a trailor and see's a lot of "fancy equipment" so they automatically think that the company is good. Also someone could drive by see the sign and see that you are doing a good job on the yard you are cutting. You get a different effect when you see that the person either has the equipment needed to do the job or you see the results from the person. So therefore you are advertising when working and when at home park you truck out by the road with the sign facing the road. Sounds good to me.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another thing I'm thinking about doing is to put a sign on the ramps of my landscape trailers, I think people will notice that as I move from job to job. Probably put ramp up when I'm doing a job to. See ya
Old 12-17-2001, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you like the yard idea, why not go for something smaller like reality sign. Less offensive to neighbors.