Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2001, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Business Insurance

I have been in the lawn care business on a part-time basis for the past 10 years. I am wanting to go full-time. What insurance would you recommend? Good companies out there? Suggestions on what I need to look at. I'm still learning and will continue to learn. I hope you can help me expand my business with your knowledge. Lawn maintenance, mowing, pesticide application. Thanks
Old 12-17-2001, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your liability insurance rates will be set by state boundaries. Insurance industry must justify rates to state insurance commissioners, based on history of claim payouts in the particular state. So your rates may vary from some of us in other states. Best for you to check with a good local agent. It is important that you get in the correct category for your coverage, so you are paying appropriate rates and have proper coverage.

What will your basic service entail to begin with? Mow, trim, edge, cleanups, shrub trimming and what more? Pesticide application requires state licensing; not too often can you just fertilize and not be expected to control weeds. Pesticide coverage generally increases insurance rates, and tree work will dramatically increase rates usually.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The amount of liabilities will also vary. If you only want to do residential, you can get away with a lower # like, say $300,000.
Most commercials will request 1 million minimum. Of course, going higher is always better. If you shoot out a rock from your deck and it hits someone, any lawyer worth his salt will START at a million dollars against you.

As far as pest insurance, for me it is pretty cheap. $100.00 per year. The problem is only 1 out of 10 companies in my area will even offer it. I get stopped all the time by those insurance vultures, but the moment I say I need pest insurance, they scatter.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CNA is the best out there. They understand the green industry with out a problem. They don't shy from underground coverage when excavating (irrigation), snow plowing or application work.

Not all insurance brokers represent them so look till you find one. Lots of companies will say they cover you till you have a problem or they find out what you really do because some reps don't listen to what you say or shade things to make a sale.