Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Boom vs Boomless spray nozzle for ATV's

Is there any advantage with boomless spray nozzle over a boom atv sprayer??

I am looking into the Fimco ATV sprayer, 25 gallon either 2.1 GPM, 60 PSI(140 inch) or 3.8 GPM, 45 PSI(140 inch) or the NorthStar ATV Sprayer with Boom-less Spray System - 26 Gallon, 4 GPM, 12 Volt

Do any of you have an experience in either of these units??
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm46 View Post

I am looking into the Fimco ATV sprayer, 25 gallon either 2.1 GPM, 60 PSI(140 inch) or 3.8 GPM, 45 PSI(140 inch) or the NorthStar ATV Sprayer with Boom-less Spray System - 26 Gallon, 4 GPM, 12 Volt

Jmm

I was on the Internet last night looking at the same sprayers as you. Fact is I have some serious questions about calibration myself and will call Tee Jet today. But IMHO Booms are more accurate and have less over spray or drift than boomless. I only want the Boom and not the spray tank or pump. The 140" with Check valves is only $ 250.00 and I couldn't build it for that price. The 140" without check valves is $ 190.00. I am looking at using a Gas powered pump and different nozzles on my Gator. I have a Boomless set up on it now.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Jmm

I was on the Internet last night looking at the same sprayers as you. Fact is I have some serious questions about calibration myself and will call Tee Jet today. But IMHO Booms are more accurate and have less over spray or drift than boomless. I only want the Boom and not the spray tank or pump. The 140" with Check valves is only $ 250.00 and I couldn't build it for that price. The 140" without check valves is $ 190.00. I am looking at using a Gas powered pump and different nozzles on my Gator. I have a Boomless set up on it now.
What do you manly use it for?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What do you manly use it for?
JMM

The Boom sprayer is used on Pasture management or utility turf management. I am researching Boom spraying at the present time because of a Interest in a Nitch Market other than lawns. Drift and off target application are a major concerns in this nitch market I am researching...... A fog in 3 MPH wind can drift 3 miles. A Mist can go a mile. a Light rain type spray can go 400 yards, all in a 3 MPH wind. Just since my first post to this thread I am finding out how much I don't know about Boom Spraying. To correctly do the Nitch Market I am researching, No off target application will not be tolerated unlike Pastures where there is no big problem.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a boom set up on my zero turn - works great. It's set approx. 18 inches off the ground with 10 110 degree Tee Jet nozzles. The set up is very similar to the Cub Cadet sit down ride on spray rig - has three seperate flow valves for controling the sections on the 110" boom. Also has 55' of hose for spraying in ditches that my zero turn will not go as well as in back yards where I can't get through gates. I simply calibrated mine by doing test runs in a 2 acre lot - it's a 3.8 GPM at 45 PSI pump with a 26 gallon tank mounted above the engine (quite a bit of fabricating). I've had a lot of people look in awe and tell me I should patent it (mostly competitors). I don't seem to get a lot of drift from it, but I am thinking of changing to a larger droplet nozzle to help decrease that possibility even more. I just simply don't spray when it's at all breezy. It seems to be much more efficient then walking a lawn with 400 ft of hose from a truck parked at the street. You just have to be careful with crossing over your previous path - that's why spray tracker is essential. I would recommend adding an agitator to it as some products you may spray will require that - as well as going with the higher GPM as a lower GPM will limit your usage (from what I've heard) and products you can spray - not to mention a higher PSI may allow for more drift. I had the same pump and tank set up on a boomless sprayer last year and it worked well, but I would get scared when spraying around beds and what not. With my set up I'm spraying anywhere from 1-1.5 gallons per 1000sf, dependant upon ground speed.
PS. It's actually the Northstar sprayer that you refered to - however I think they advertise it as being 4 GPM's but I looked on the pump and it's actually 3.8 - could be wrong though....
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

jmm46, ric and I discussed this in a thread last year. I built a boomless unit and tested it out. It now sits in my barn gathering dust. Very inaccurate for broadleaf control. I mounted mine on a Steiner and due to the narrow width of the tractor everytime I went over an unlevel section of lawn it would either spray real wide or real narrow. I tried it out on parking lots using roundup and had the same results. Drive over a stone with one wheel and the high side would spray 30' wide and other side 5'. Got tired of playing with it and went back to my booms. When I had time I will build another set of wider booms for big properties.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

AmGreen-How do you control your speed on the Z turn?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hypro boomless nozzles rule.

Quote:

Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420deere View Post

I have a similar setup. Whatever speed you decide to spray at, mark it on your throttle area somewhere and use the same speed. The only time I adjust engine speed is going down or up hills. If you mix at the halfway point of the chemical(i.e. 1.1-1.5 oz/k use 1.3oz) a teeny bit slower or faster on the hills won't matter much.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420deere View Post
I have a JD 757 with a 25 gallon tank and a 120" boom. I welded a 1/2 inch nut on edge on a small plate about 1" x 2". I bolted this small plate in front my left handle. I screwed a 5" long bolt through the 1/2" nut to create a stop for the steering handle. I jammed two nuts on the 1/2" bolt so that the bolt can be screwed into the proper depth when needed. I have bolts set up for 20, 30, and 50 gpa. You only need to do one side. When you get through spraying, just loosen the bolt and go as fast as you want. I use Hypro Ultra Low Drift 110 degree nozzles. When compared to nozzles of a similar size, Hypro ULD have the least drift.

Boomless nozzles are very inaccurate when compared to a boom setup.