Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I am thinking about installing new lawns for a local contractor and would like to know if any of you guys have used the rockhound attachment for skid steers. <br> If so, how are they for prep work? For instance, how big of rocks, soil types, sticks, roots, hard surfaces, etc? <br> By the way - this is the first time I've used this forum. There is plenty of helpful information here. Thanks!<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 11:18 PM
Lawnsite Addict

We use a Preperator by FFC on our New Holland skid Loaders, Cut our prep time by 2/3. Now a crew of three install 2000 yds per day. We also use big rolls only (25) yds per roll. First job I used it on was a 7000 yd school, one tractor and one skid loader graded and fine raked in one day, install sod next day. We hauled out 5 semi's of junk on that job! Ours will eat a 20&quot; rock, We down sized the Preperator 60&quot; for our 783 New Hollands so we can load our trucks with it, you can't load semi with it but a six wheeler it can load. Will not take out small stumps but will pick up most rock and sticks down to 3/4&quot;. <p>paul
Old 01-24-2000, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The RockHound works is basically the same as the Preparator. If your doing sod installations this is the way to go.
Old 01-24-2000, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use a Harley Rake attachment for our skidsteer and have been quite satisfied with it. The Harley rake is a little bit more versatile than a rock hound, and can be angled, which works for us (winrow and pickup later) and has optional box sides. We use it to prep new lawns, fix tire tracks, thatch existing turf (to help blend in new areas), spread loam (screened or unscreened), spread processed stone, freshen up stone driveways, etc. It will pop rocks out of the ground, and even small stumps and roots. We use it so much, we've changed the teeth 4x, so the last time we upgraded to the carbide tooth drum. It works very well.<p><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 01-25-2000, 08:25 AM
jeffclc

While I havent operated a rockhound, I have installed lawns after one was used. With a good operator, the lawn is just about ready for seed or sod. Only light raking is required. <p>They also cut back on the amount of topsoil needed to prepare a good seedbed. They get most of the rocks, twigs, and other debris out of the ground. <p>The ground is usually firm enough to stay inplace, but not too hard to prevent the grass from establishing.