Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

2 Weed Questions

I maintain a new subdivision and had a couple questions. First of all, in the beds, I cannot stop the weeds from growing, I have the roundup concentrate that I use but they just keep popping back up. Is there anything easier that works better? Also, there is newly planted zoyzia grass and there are lots of weeds coming through which look terrible. The landscaper told me that it cannot be fertilized because it will kill it. It was installed in late fall or early winter. Anyone know what can be done to kill these weeds?
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After killing the existing weeds with your round-up application, use a pre-emergant in the beds such as Snapshot this will prevent new weed seeds from germinating.
Fertilizer will not kill the newly planted zoysia. Was this planted with seed or sod? If seed and it has germinated and has been mowed a couple times you can apply a pre-emergant to the turf to keep the weeds from coming up. And after it has been mowed 4-5 times you can apply a three-way weed control to kill the existing weeds. If sod and it was planted last fall- go for it. Apply a fert/pre-emergant combo and spray the existing weeds.
-Taj Mahal-
Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

make sure your beds have a good layer of mulch also, that alone should keep out most weeds.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1487 View Post
I maintain a new subdivision and had a couple questions. First of all, in the beds, I cannot stop the weeds from growing, I have the roundup concentrate that I use but they just keep popping back up. Is there anything easier that works better? Also, there is newly planted zoyzia grass and there are lots of weeds coming through which look terrible. The landscaper told me that it cannot be fertilized because it will kill it. It was installed in late fall or early winter. Anyone know what can be done to kill these weeds?
Does this landscaper do the actual mowing on the zoysia, or do you ?

If it's him.... I'd be willing to bet 'ya he's just jackin' you around a little because he's could very well likely be too swamped with other mowing jobs already...and he's afraid he's going to be mowing this too much if you fertilize it !!

Fert is a form of weed control, in and of itself, because it helps the turf COMPETE with the weeds !
Go for it !!!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

And, Oh...with all due respect, Matt, you will need to go out and get your state pesticide license if you're doing any pesticide work "for hire" whatsoever.

The 1st question you had...with you implying on this thread that the post-emergent herbicide Roundup concentrate should have "kept" weeds out of the beds...is a dead giveaway that you've never taken any pesticide certification exam, anywhere.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
And, Oh...with all due respect, Matt, you will need to go out and get your state pesticide license if you're doing any pesticide work "for hire" whatsoever.

The 1st question you had...with you implying on this thread that the post-emergent herbicide Roundup concentrate should have "kept" weeds out of the beds...is a dead giveaway that you've never taken any pesticide certification exam, anywhere.
Well it's my in laws land and I live accross the street from where I maintain and I don't get paid and it is technically their land so I have to just take my chances. I don't do any other weed killing or fertilizing I just thought I would help them out, but I do cut it.
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Old 05-17-2008, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Hire a pro, your way out of your league.