Register free!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Zoysia Mites

For those of you who service Zoysia lawns,What is your weapon of choice against Zoysia Mites?

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forbid or avid should give you some good control.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Depending on the season, there are many options available. Early Spring Dormant oil, During the growing season, anymore, over the counter insecticide available to perscription.
Dah?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forbid and Avid do not have a label for turf use. I would use either Talstar or Mavrik Aquaflo with a surfactant, applied in such a way that coverage of the leaf is complete and with no runoff to the soil. My applications for surface and foliar insects are sprayed through a boom fitted with XR Teejet nozzles at 2 gallons per M, 100 PSI at the boom.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used Talstar/surfactant with very good results. I asked this question because as we all know,it's a good idea to rotate control products so the pest doesn't build resistance. Also, not just any "over the counter" insecticide controls mites. I had never heard of using dormant oil on them. Just goes to show that you learn(or at least hear) something new every day. Duh? Thanks for the responses

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The FQPA and reregistration process have really hampered management of certain key pests. Mites are one of them. If this question were asked in 1991, I would have suggested Kelthane, then Dursban. I have never caused or otherwise observed off target effect from those two chemicals, but those are now restricted to farms and nurseries only. Homeowners have been applying those two from the time before I was born. I used to spray pounds of Kelthane 50 W on hibiscus in residential areas and suddenly it is too dangerous to apply by EPA edict. Not because there were widespread poisoning incidents. If you want a product with a history, there is malathion. I do not see any move to pull that off the market or make that an RUP. I do have to wonder here in Hawaii, if some of the malathion incidents have to do with effective, yet politically incorrect pesticides being banned. Instead of a little Dursban, or dimethoate or Kelthane, the only thing that works is an overdose of malathion.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For a general insecticide targeting a broad spectrum of insects I like Cypermethrin Pro-G.
Yes I know it labeled as a termicide but the label includes a whole host of predacious insects as well.