Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2001, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

a little help!

I work part time for a "friend" that owns a 200 account LCO. I use his equipment (the equipment is pretty good) and average about 45 lawns a week at 40.00 a lawn. I also perform maintinance and repairs. This includes keeping all of the equipment in my garage throughout the season. I also handle all the customer interface. The cutting usually takes about 5 hrs a day and five days a week (the account are spread all over the place). A helper is sometimes used, but never more than 200.00 a week worth. I am paid a flat rate of 300.00 a week. I am getting taken to the cleaners or is the rate about right? Please help.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Who's truck do you use? Are you reimbursed for the fuel you use for the equipment and truck?

The cutting takes you 25 hours a week. Right there you are $12.00 an hour. How long does the equipment maintenance take you? You must factor that in also.

When you say you interface with the customers, does that also mean that you handle all the montlhy billing and dealing with any problems that may arise? Then you have to add that into your total hours.

And finally, do you report these earnings at the end of the year, or is this straight under the table?
Old 12-18-2001, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dogger, lets clear somethingsup before other people answer this, you work for him and you cut 45 lawns a week. you work 5 days a week at 5 hours a day. does that include garage time as well or not>? plus you store the equipment at your place and get paid $300. a week at a flat rate salery. and you handle the customers. so if i'm right you get paid $12 a hour. and to finish a reply you need to clear a few things up
Old 12-18-2001, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish you were working for me. I could use the free storage too!
I am not sure if you are getting taken advantage of, alot depends on your locality and the unemployment. Storage here is running no less than $100 a month and the owners do not want wrenching to go on. Only Long Term Storage.
6' x 12' trailer
32" Cub Cadet tractor (1988)
2000 Yazoo/Kees ZTR 48"deck
1998 Lawnboy 21"
3 various Stihl trimmers
Toro 21" Proline
Crapsman wire trimer on wheels
Stihl BG85 blower
Old 12-18-2001, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

here's where the story gets ugly. My "friend" picked up 100 of the accounts in the middle of the season with some financial backing for start up capital. First of all the prior company had not cut the accounts for at least three weeks (up to 8" of grass to cut and unhappy customers to boot) and then the start up money never materialized. I was thus forced to front all expenses including the helper for at least the first month i cut. Furthermore, my "friend only returned messages when i demanded money or i would stop cutting". I think this was above the call for duty and was promised additional money for my trouble. The money i recieved each time was only enough to cover the money i had fronted. He still owes me 1,000.00 now. I do use a provided truck, but it is a serious hassle and does not run well. The end result is that he wants me to work this uncoming season and promises that everything will smooth. Am i getting screwed or is 300.00 a fair price. P.S. as for the billing- that was a nightmare on his side of the business, but he want's me to handle the billing for my accounts next year.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you pretty much run his company except get clients. Why dont you just start your own?
What else would you do if you didnt work for this guy is a good question to ask yourself.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say but I think your friend is screwing you.I'm sort of confused do you have any acoounts where the money is all yours, or is the 45 accounts@40.00 per cut his.Sounds like a headache though with billing and the manit. etc,etc. My only thoughts, if it works for you and your happy doing it, then follow your leads.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're not getting shafted because you're agreeing to it.

Look, the way he's running his business, it's not going to last long and if it does, it won't be sucessful enough to take you anywhere.

Request more money. Or you should get a %. Request half the revenues and do all the work yourself.

This sounds like a deal not going far, better get what you can now.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure glad I don`t have friends like that!!!!!!!
300.00 a week and you do all the lawns,do the maint on equiptment, provide storage, and to boot you even get to handle the invoicing next season. Your hourly rate will be sooooo very low. You can flip belly bomber white castle hamburgers for almost 8.00 hr,+uniforms+free meal, and you get to work in airconditioning.

Quote:
[grassyfras] Sounds like you pretty much run his company except get clients. Why dont you just start your own? What else would you do if you didnt work for this guy is a good question to ask yourself.
This is something to think about bud!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I get paid $10 an hour to ride around in a truck and get out to weed-eat and blow. Not far from your $12 and hour and you do a whole lot more than I do. Sounds a little cheap to me. I would most deffinently demand a raise or start my own business.