Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

My First Water Feature- River into Pond

Here are the pictures after today. I'll get some up of the completed feature in a few days when its all done. As I said, it is my first one so I'd like it if you could let me know what you think of it so far, and maybe even give some suggestions for me to consider when selecting and placing the stone and selecting the lighting.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Got any finished pics?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Bet he will when he gets it done - he stated so last night when he postd these.

I know we all think we want to work thru the night but .... lol
Hold on - they a comin'
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not finished yet as you can see in the pictures. I got some stone placed today, so here are a few pictures of what I have so far. I have six larger boulders, but the majority is smaller stones, Pennsylvania river stones and then 1-3 inch river rock. In the second picture you can see one effect I was trying by using only river rock. The third is a bit of a trickling waterfall into the rock which is giving me some good sound. The fourth and fifth pictures show how I have been using my larger stones. This is just my first placement and I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it and the stone will get moved quite a bit tomorrow. Anyways, let me know what you think, and I'd like to hear suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

boy, I would love to learn how to do that...looks great
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you are doing a good job. You wanted some suggestions for your rock placement. Your stream looks pretty straight and uniform. I would take some of your big rocks and put them right in the steam a little offset from the middle in a manner that forces the water around one side of the rock. You will have to use waterfall foam. You can alternate sides of the stream with your big rocks and you will force the water to travel in curves like a natural stream, instead of straight down.

Your end result will be so much better when you do this. Are you a landscaper or homeowner?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pond may be a little small for the stream. I would have put in a skimmer. Otherwise looking good.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I second what Venture West and Earthworker said. You have enough liner to pull it back dig in a pocket and set some bigger boulders in the side of the stream. You still have time to put a skimmer in and it will help greatly!

Here is my first pond and I would do a tone of things different.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have put a few of my larger boulders jutting into the stream to divert the waterflow somewhat. Looking at these photos, it seems that I may need some even larger boulders jutting into the stream. My customer likes that cedar lying across the stream, I am still undecided. I am looking into a skimmer. Here are a few new photos.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Very good effort for your first pond. If I were to give some suggestions I would have tried to make the stream less straight, but I understand that is challenging when you are not working with a super large stream and you don't have a ton of elevation to work with. Ron with Venture West made some good suggestions. I would probably upsize your pond and pump a bit for the size of stream you have. How high does the water level come up to when you unplug the pump? Does it overflow the pond? Did you put in an overflow? If I was going to light this one it would be down lighting from the conifers surrounding the stream. About 20-25 feet above the ground. Good start though. you should have seen my first waterfall and pond. It was a disaster.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com