Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Theft is a BIG problem on my street (and it's a nice street!) - there's some punk kids around who are heavily into drugs..... iPods, tools, lot's of car break-ins. I've had a BR600 and a pair of HS 81T Stihl trimmers swiped. If I have stuff on me, it's brought into the garage or locked with one of those cable/combination locks. Lock boxes on the dump truck are always getting double checked- lots of tools in there. I could care less about handtools... if the want a rake or a shovel, Ok.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in an apt complex, and due to my old caprice taking up my garage (waiting for my "friend" to fill out the lost title ppr work s I can get plates for it) I have to park in an empty and faraway part of the lot. Its also college living, so everything but the trailer gets put into the garage, but I have to leave it outside. Luckily I haven't lost anything yet, knock on wood.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i was going to walmart this morning and i drive past one guys house. Hes an owner operater. has a 25ft enclosed and a 350 2 tires on the 350 were slashd. my jaw just dropped. it hurt to see it hes one of the few that waves. i felt so bad. 2 new E rated tires gonna set you back at least 500 bucks this world sucks

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas View Post
You're lucky - I'd be locking that stuff up tight. The times they are a changin' my friend. Good Luck. I hope that's all you ever loose.
That's right ... after being hit twice I lock everything up at night !! Anyone that doesn't is asking for their equipment to be stolen.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I consider myself to be extremely fortunate. I have two acres that I live on with a shop and shed behind my house. I can pull in in the evenings and back my trailer fully loaded into my shed. Neighbor, whom I mow for lets me drive across my lot and use his driveway to get out. I let him run his horses on my back lot.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
I consider myself to be extremely fortunate. I have two acres that I live on with a shop and shed behind my house. I can pull in in the evenings and back my trailer fully loaded into my shed. Neighbor, whom I mow for lets me drive across my lot and use his driveway to get out. I let him run his horses on my back lot.
What would be awesome would be able to drive in, and turn around in the shop and drive right out, but that'd have to be one big shop. I always unload my stuff and put it in the shed and the mower either outside or if is going to rain, the put it in the garage. I've never had anything stolen, then I take the trailer to either my uncles or my grandmas. I don't have any room in my yard for a trailer, and a camper.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316 View Post
What would be awesome would be able to drive in, and turn around in the shop and drive right out, but that'd have to be one big shop. I always unload my stuff and put it in the shed and the mower either outside or if is going to rain, the put it in the garage. I've never had anything stolen, then I take the trailer to either my uncles or my grandmas. I don't have any room in my yard for a trailer, and a camper.
well actually we are planning to build a new house in a few years and one thing I WILL have is a shop that I can pull through that will be long enough to park the truck and trailer in AND be able to drop the gate and unload everything off the trailer in the shop. the setup I have now I pull in to the left, back the trailer in and then I can go straight out and down the neighbors driveway. If I want to unload the mowers, I have to pull the trailer out of the shed.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i do all the time but luckily i live in a country neighborhood where the neighbors dont care and so far at least there hasnt been any robberies. in town i know some crazy neighbors will complain about it which in my opinion shouldn't matter because its your house
Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

when i was in commercial mowing, I lived on a farm.

One morning one of my formen showed up early deciding to load up equipment before i came out for the day.

I walked out there in my jammies with my kimber .45. (b.c i heard the mowers and didnt know what was going on.

This guy lived in the city, he nearly soiled his shorts, not to mention he told everyone about what happened for a year straight.

I never locked anything up and never had a problem.

I had a 45 cal insurance policy.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Camera's. We also have those hose like things they sometimes use at the gas stations to let you know when there are cars. Run it right in front of the garage that way you have to step on it or drive over it. We also have an alarm system, lots of motion lights, and dogs. Just wish we could have guns. One of the few down falls with Canada...

-Adam