Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2001, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gooseneck anyone?

Does anyone use a gooseneck landscape trailer? I'm contemplating getting a 24' low profile goosenceck so that I'm able to haul all four of my DC's on the same trailer. I use my 3 suburb'n turbn's daily, but some days I need to take the 60" machine for certain areas not accessible with a 72". If anyone has one I'd appreciate comments and possible leads for a purchase in the next few months. Thanks, Lynn Gorrell
Old 12-19-2001, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

gooseneck

Hello,
i'm in the same boat, need a bigger trailer, but a long tag-a-long gets to be too long in small neighborhoods. I will be purchasing a gooseneck right after tax time(my cpa says to wait). I'm going to buy a 20' low profile, 82" between fenders, 12,000 lb GVW, & brakes on both axles for about $2,800. Axles may be bigger than you need though. The same trailer in a tag-a-long goes for about $2,400. Not much difference, except the cost of adding the ball in your truck.(about $300)
If you have never pulled one, they take a little getting used to though. They don't "follow" the truck, they will cut corners, so you have to watch out for that. They do however, pull much better than a tag-a-long, especially with a heavy load, they distribute the weight better.
BTW, the prices above are about the best i have been able to find in my area(Raleigh, N.C.)
Old 12-19-2001, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this is something that i dont think is common with us guys, however i think its a great idea, could really modify those things to be perfect, only disadvantage and probs the reason many dont use them is it takes a big truck and takes up a lot of bed space.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you call a big truck? I have a 2500 Chevrolet with a 6.0 liter engine. I don't anticipate any problems. I have pulled a 24' gooseneck loaded with tractors & equipment with a 2500 Dodge with Cummins diesel around the whole state of N.C. for several years and the only problems i ever encountered were wearing out tires on the rearof the truck a little faster than normal
Old 12-19-2001, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

interesting i wasnt aware of that, only 2500 i have seen with a gooseneck was one puling a horse trailer with one horse in it, didnt know they could handle one loaded.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not want to use a goose neck in my operation. However they are great in tight turn arounds. But make wide turns at corners or you might be plowing side walks. Do not worry about pulling them only stopping. Be sure to have both axials with brakes. A haft ton truck can handle a goose neck if you are only hauling mowers. Good luck

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

We got one!

And use it daily. It is a custom built by my dealer (I speced it out). It orginally had a 20' bed, full width!. It has 2 5000 lb, 4" drop axles. The floor is wooden 2x10 in the middle and tread plate sides the same width as the 4" pierced fenders. (they stick up 4 inches) The trailer came with 2 - 4 foot by 7 feet ramps on the back! This was ok for a while but they slowely began to bend. ( I'd load my small bobcat or 40hp Kubota brush hog) I trashed the ramps and andded 18 inches to the back that came to a narrowed width the same as the wood floor and this was dovetailed. I built a 54 inch ramp that is going on its 8th year. The trailer also had a custom sliding ramp on the curb side too. This was a cool feature! It was 5 feet wide and 4 foot tall with a section that pulled out to make a 7 foot ramp. It also slid from the front of the trailer to the front of the fender. At first, we used it to haul our JD 430 w/ 60" cut on front parked sideways. We had a JD 525 parked sideways next to that and our favorite mower - JD 935 w/ 72 " deck parked regular on the back. We could off-load any one of the machines with out haveing to move the other. It was great! We traded the 525 for a Walker in 93 and that was our rig till 96. We've changed equipment left and right but we still use that trailer everyday. Around here, we can get around with very minor problems. We now normally carry 4 Exmark turftracer, 60" decks for our big crew when needed. It works great for our walker crew. They just dump on the trailer and go, go, go! If you have the truck and the room to get around, I would definatly go with a goose neck! I'll post some pics sometime soon of all our stuff.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where they are at but,

www.kaufmantrailersinc.com

They have a nice goose kneck deck over for $3000

I would suggest the deck over eith side rails so you don't drive off the end.

Also 3-72" and 1-60" side ways is 23 feet. so to keep from banging things up you would have 102" of room to turn around.

Also in the older DC brochurs they have a pic of a 1/2 ton and a goose kneck with 2 WB's and 2 DC's on a trailer with plenty of space left.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I have a 20' gooseneck landscaper trailer.
It has the rail one foot high all around the deck.
It's rated at 12,000# and has two 7,000# axels with brakes.

I traded a gooseneck with a deck over the wheels in on the new one.

I like the new one better because:

1. No deck space is lost to a dovetail.
2. The load rides lower and doesn't sway fron side to side as much.
3. It's easier to load because the deck is only knee high.
4. I don't always have to chain everything down. The parking brakes on the mowers hold if they're all moved tight against the front rail of the trailer.

I'd ordered the heavy duty 6' ramps so the mower decks wouldn't drag on the ramp's hinge when loading. But the ramps were way too heavy for me to lift. So I went to a welder and had them cut in two, and hinged in the middle.
So now I just have to lift the end sections of 3 1/2' each. The other 2 1/2' of ramp is hung off of the trailer with chains, lower at the back edge like a dovetail. That way if it drags on a dip in a driveway or something, it just raises up instead of getting hung up like a rigid dovetail.

Dave
Old 12-20-2001, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wow never knew all these people used them, do u guys have urs setup with cages and trimmer traps like on the regular trailers? how about leaf loaders and leaf boxes and areas for clippings?