Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Scale House

I never really understood exactly how to weights worked with what I had read vs heard. I've gotten to know the guys at the scale house I have to sometimes pass and told them about my new Chevy 4500 and they told me to bring it by, that they would weigh and measure it, then tell me what I could carry. Well I did a couple days ago and was really surprised. All this debating I did before about an aluminum vs steel bed........doesn't matter.

Truck with bed weighed in at just over 12,000 lbs. The sticker on the door is 17,500......interestingly my title says 19,500 but thats an error. So I said, okay I can haul 5,500 lbs but ya'll explain what you were talking about before. THey said the 17,500 means nothing buy determining CDL status. I said okay then, what can I haul? Measured center of hub to center of hub........whatever that distance was they told me I was allowed 20,000 lbs per axle. I said what!?!?!?!? That would be a 28,000 lb payload.........14 tons is more then that truck can possibly handle. They said yes but if I were to tag it that high, I technically would be legal to gross 40,000 lbs although they don't suggest it and I agreed. The truck is actually tagged at 29,500 lbs so I've got plenty of room to work with but I was really taken back by that.

So, my International (RIP) being under CDL at 25,500.....I can weigh as much as 40,000 lbs and be legal. Now, once I weigh more then 26,000 lbs I would need a Class B CDL. This was great news to me as I was limited to 9,000 lbs before hitting 26,000 before although I knew the truck wouldn't have a problem handling a few more.

Now, this is STRICTLY a surprising/informative post. Don't come back telling how I better not load this and that........duh, I'm not stupid. I was just really surprised that I can weigh in that much and be legal. Its great for when I've got another International on the road to be able to haul that little extra bit.

*State of VA.........and not a crack head that explained everything to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Who told you this? If you look in the door of most truck (at least my 7500, f750, L9000) it'll give you a GVR for the front axle and the rear. most trucks rear axles are rated higher than the front since that's where the load is, also where the duallies reside. You're truck tag (plate) has to cover you're truck and anything you're towing, I believe.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, so long as I am tagged for what I'm weighing in I'm good.

I specifically asked about the axles. I said that I would be overloading the axles though........that weight could possibly snap them at which they agreed but by the book I am legally allowed 20,000 lbs per axle. We both agreed that overloading the truck is not a good idea but legally I'm good. I said so if I'm tagged for what I'm hauling, over what the door sticker says, I will not get a ticket for being over weight.......they said correct. I was happy, surprised and confused at the same time.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Straight from the Motor Carrier Unit of the State Police.

No, it doesn't make sense.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

That door sticker means nothing the biggest problem is these trucks can carry more than they can stop.

Now when it comes to the DOT they like the numbers if your over the gvw they will get you even if your not even close to the axle ratings.

I don't know what GM uses in the 4500 for a rear axle if it is the S110 they say its rated for 11,000lbs it probably can handle more.

The 4500-5500 GMs are heavy because the extra heavier cab.

I would tag the truck for the gvw on the door and run the truck if you think you can "legally" haul more weight raise the gvw up.

Like I said the braking power is the biggest worry your going to be tasting the seat fabric in the back of your throat when your decending a hill and the brakes start fading. That will be your limiting factor on how much weight you will beable to put on it.

To sum it up 3 tons will probably the most you will want to put on it and stay somewhat legal.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

4 ton is probably the most that truck will ever see.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what they are talking about is called bridge formula it is the distancebetween the axles. you would probably break some trucks in half before you go over on the bridge formula.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

If your max load will be 4 tons I don't see a problem just keep good brakes on the truck.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
what they are talking about is called bridge formula it is the distancebetween the axles. you would probably break some trucks in half before you go over on the bridge formula.
.......bingo!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

My concern

With the answer you got from those guys is it's not binding nor would it hold up if you got a ticket. If you go over your GVWR or your licensed GVWR then you'll get a ticket in every state. In Virginia you have the additional benefit that you'll be ticketed for overweight if you overload any axle, even if you aren't over on gross.

Bridge formula, maybe, but a truck that's less than class 8 won't be bothered by bridge since it's use is to calculate weight density for class 8 trucks because those generally have the highest weight concentration of all (Class 8 being over 33,000 lbs GVWR ). In other words a long 80,000 pound truck could have a lower weight density than a short 60,000 pound truck.

Your truck at 17,500 would be considered a class 5 and you wouldn't need a CDL until you hit class 7 OR are pulling a trailer that's 10,001 pounds or more. Also, CDL usage is based on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the truck, not on the gross weight at any time.

While I'm not saying these guys are purposfully leading you down the wrong path it doesn't sound like they're giving you the answers you're looking for.

In my opinion. Of course that and $0.65 might get you a 2 liter at Wegmans.