Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Questions about Dodge diesel

I have a chance to purchase a '95 2500 series dodge pickup. it is the inline six diesel engine with an automatic trans. 4 wheel drive. I believe it is bone stock, it has 160,000 miles on it. my questions are:
Is this a good motor by dodge?
can i get decent fuel mileage?
any transmission issues to be aware of?
is it a decent vehicle to plow with?

anyone with any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never had one, been around a few of them. That is a 5.9L Cummins 12 valve turbo diesel. This is a legendary engine, and the only reason I personally would ever consider a Dodge. 160,000 is just broken in for that engine. The tranny probably isn't the best in the world if it's never been rebuilt. As far as plowing, as long as the tranny holds up, I personally don't ever plan on plowing snow in a gas pickup again. A diesel is just so much more efficient, especially when you wind up plowing for 12+ hours straight. Good luck.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the exact truck well a 95 single cab with 215000 mi no serious problem has power but dont expect a race car like the new diesels. The technology that diesel has unleased in the last 10 years is amazing. I do like my truck though yes the tranny is weak i get mine flushed once a year about 25k mi since a pull alot but the tranny can be rebuilt. The engine will far outlast the truck if you dont go trying to pull 150+ more hp out of it and yes you can get good fuel economy i get regularly 16-18 in town unloaded 20-21 highway unloaded and 16 or so on the highway with a 16' trailer and equipment at about 6000 lbs i have herd that the 12 valves are more fuel efficient than the 24v and the new 6.7 even though those engines will pull might more hp then the 12 valve over all if you can get a good price i wouldnt flinch about them mileage
Old 05-25-2008, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

The truck itself is what you have to worry about as for just being broke in is a laugh the engine is at 3/4 of its life span. Leave the engine alone aka no squeezing more power out of it the engine should last you a decent time.

The worst part about Dodge 4x4s is the unreliable axle lock and the weak unit bearing hubs. I don't know if I would want to hang too much weight on the front end of a Dodge Cummins. The front axle capacity is already pushing the limits.

A truck like that would be a daily driver/work truck why beat the crap out of it plowing. With the price of fuel nowwadays you don't want to really ruin a truck that will get 16 mpg.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuzz View Post
I have a chance to purchase a '95 2500 series dodge pickup. it is the inline six diesel engine with an automatic trans. 4 wheel drive. I believe it is bone stock, it has 160,000 miles on it. my questions are:
Is this a good motor by dodge?
can i get decent fuel mileage?
any transmission issues to be aware of?
is it a decent vehicle to plow with?

anyone with any advice is greatly appreciated.
Engine good. the trans with those miles on a 95 not to good work on a lot of dodges and I miss the old dakota but dodge and trans go after a 100,000 they slip and out of sink and links get bad. that what i have been there. I have worked on over 15 of them some were in there. I have a 97 with a trans that's on the way out and I plow with it and not so good mine needs a new trans. Sometimes just changing out the tork converter is all they need. take it in have it checked if you can a trans goes from 2500 to about 6000 depending on what you want. a rebuild is 2500 and get you about 50,000 if you working it at a moderat pace.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the input. if i do put a plow on it , it'll be a 7 1/2 most likely. as most of my biz is res. and small comm. I've always heard good things about the motors in these trucks. the thing that really scares me is that the truck is a farm truck. so its def. seen a work day. im going to look at it mon. ill let you guys know what its like. hopefully the trans is in good shape.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like others have said, the engine is good. It's the rest of the truck to watch out for. Do you know if the previous owner(s) have used it to plow before?
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The broken in comment was just a figure of speech. But as long as the truck holds together I've heard from a few different cummins nuts/techs that with very normal maintenance they should go 300+ up to 500K. The fact that it's a farm truck will probably put it in one of two extremes. It's either been used as a truck, but taken care of, or completely trashed. From the pickups I've bought I'd rather buy a used farm truck than a used plow/salt truck.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Cummins is a heavy engine, I would not want to hang a plow off the front of a unmodified front end, My gosh I can tell you from ownership experience the truck is heavy my 7,000lb floor jack struggles lifting the front of the dodge in the front you would need some air bags on the front for the extra weight of the plow.

I have had the best luck with Dodge transmissions, 48RE is a HD towing transmission and while the Ford truck lovers hate dodge, our 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew, was a PIECE of crap the tranny went out a 45,000miles, along with many other issues.

The Dodge cab & bodies hold up well, If we (dodge lovers) had listen to all the Dodge haters we would be on the side of the road with Fords. When I'm out working the majority of rigs broken down on the side of the road are Ford Powerstrokes.

The Cummins ISB will suck the paint off a Powerstroke going up a hill, and it's easy to maintain inline 6 compared to a V-8 diesel. You cannot go wrong with a Cummins diesel
Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The truck itself is what you have to worry about as for just being broke in is a laugh the engine is at 3/4 of its life span. Leave the engine alone aka no squeezing more power out of it the engine should last you a decent time.

The worst part about Dodge 4x4s is the unreliable axle lock and the weak unit bearing hubs. I don't know if I would want to hang too much weight on the front end of a Dodge Cummins. The front axle capacity is already pushing the limits.

A truck like that would be a daily driver/work truck why beat the crap out of it plowing. With the price of fuel nowwadays you don't want to really ruin a truck that will get 16 mpg.
Actually the life expectancy is 300k. I have a dodge w/ 335k and is used daily.