Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
your unhappy with 13-14mpg in a 3/4 ton 350 horse 7k lb truck? You didnt check on mpg B4 you bought it??? I have the same truck. 07 1/2 2500hd. I av. 13 with no towing, goes down 1-2 towing mowers. highway you might get 15. good luck w/ the truck. I like mine. the sheet metal sucks though (thats all new trucks).
fuel millage isn't a deciding factor, i know it was going to be low. i was just wondering if it was in line wit the normal, which it seems to be. the fuel millage is offset by massive amounts of raw power.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care View Post
fuel millage isn't a deciding factor, i know it was going to be low. i was just wondering if it was in line wit the normal, which it seems to be. the fuel millage is offset by massive amounts of raw power.
You are getting better than average fuel economy---nice.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a 2004 2500HD home this winter for about a week... it was an overnight test drive, turned into me buying it.. and returning it when I realized what kind of $hit deal I was getting!

I was getting 12-13 doing 58 on the highway pulling nothing! Don't the '08's shut down to 4 cylinders at cruising speed? (when not towing anything I would assume) or is that just the 1/2 tons?

The '08s are VERY very nice trucks, as it looks like you've learned!

I'm still driving my '94 1/2 ton.. tranny is about gone in it! Just trying to save up for a nice truck that I wont have to change 6 mo. after I get in business. I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha
Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thats good for an 04 with the old tranny. cylinders only shut down in the half tons.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Lawns View Post
I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha
this was actually the reaction of one of my biggest clients, after rolling around in the 1999 1/2 ton flatbed for a while, showing up in a truck of the 2500's caliber was a bit of a shock for him. he told me "kid, you must make a pretty penny off me, but thank god you got a truck that matches your skill"

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Lawns View Post
I took a 2004 2500HD home this winter for about a week... it was an overnight test drive, turned into me buying it.. and returning it when I realized what kind of $hit deal I was getting!

I was getting 12-13 doing 58 on the highway pulling nothing! Don't the '08's shut down to 4 cylinders at cruising speed? (when not towing anything I would assume) or is that just the 1/2 tons?

The '08s are VERY very nice trucks, as it looks like you've learned!

I'm still driving my '94 1/2 ton.. tranny is about gone in it! Just trying to save up for a nice truck that I wont have to change 6 mo. after I get in business. I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha
do you want a decent truck that can haul alot? do you want it to plow snow? do you want it to be reliable? if yes, buy it or any other gm,ford, or chrysler 3/4 or 1ton...

If your looking for a truck with good mileage, that will never happen. Sell your business and buy a civic if your that concerned about mileage.

Not trying to be rude, and I understand that it does suck, but its the name of the game. Bigger trucks = bigger bills/repairs/etc, which all together should equal bigger checks for your business.