Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2001, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Florida Only

On average, what are you guys charging per cut for a standard size lot (80 x 120). Do you have a minimum charge (i.e..no less than $30 per cut). Just curious if I have my numbers right.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Each town is a little different on prices and my town has some of the lowest in the state. More scrubs here than any where else on earth. 80 x 120 = 9600sq minus house swimming pool, and driveway leaves about 5,000sq at $5.00/M = $25.00 per cut. 40 cuts per year 40/12= 3.4 x 25 = 85.00 per month. Wished I could get the above price. I get about 75.00 per month on 80 x 120 lots and roundup beds. Also use pole saw on brown palm fronse for this price. Also we stick edge everything from the road to the seawall everywhere you run a trimmer, and use sprinlker head cutters every service time. I am the high priced guy and there are a hundren guys in my town that will do it for 45.00 to 50.00 a month and include shrubs trimming. Sarasota and Naples will be 1.4 to 1.5 times higher than my price. If my roots were not so deep I would of left this town a long long time ago. My minum is now 25.00 but that just went up from 20.00. My area as no industry and the oldest age average in the world 58yr old. Our area is strickly retirement and many snow birds. I was thinking of addeding a go and blow operation but the number just don't work unless you are a scrub, overhead taxes insur kill the bottom line.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply Ric. Where are you located. I also have a lot of scrubs in this area (Tampa Bay). Within this industries the customer compares apples to apples. I am leaning more toward offering a COMPLETE service and nothing less. I will include everything from the Lawn service, fert, pruning, mulch, etc... I want a niche that these scrubs can't offer and a customer base that wants quality and is not concerned about getting the lowest cost. My problem is that I just have to learn to say "NO" to these people that want everything for nothing. I have discovered that the common denominator with my custmers is that they are on a limited budget (middle-class). These are the people that are concerned more with cost than quality & image and will drop you in a second if times are tough or a lower price comes along. I am not certified in Fert Applications or Arborists, but I am going to start utilizing subs for anything I am unfamiliar with. And believe me, I will be watching them for quality & education. Does anyone operate like this and if so any advice would be helpful..
Old 12-23-2001, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Right on. I hear everything you are saying cause I have said it myselve. We have got to talk face to face. There is an equip show in Tampa coming up. Let us meet their. As far as subs go, I use them all the time and the networking is great. I know there prices and just call them with an address, they send me a bill and alot of referrals. But be sure you hook up with good ones. Try different guys till you find a couple you can work with. I work with 3 different tree guys and a forth who is a buddy but I am careful to send him work. If you reffer someone it is on your rep. Middle class nieghborhoods price is always important but Quaility work will help keep the idiots off your back. I am 61 and still go to college full time at nights for horticulture. I am about finished with this program and if they accept my English and other nonhoritculture credits from other degrees I will get a degree. Just got my grades from last semi. proud to say 4.0 and 3.71 over all. I am sure there are some kind of night school in your area that can be helpful. Dave Palmer is the county extension agent in your area and he does an great job educating Professional people. Click on the www under my name to find my address.

Lawnsite day at the next Fla. Equip show. Lets us all meet there. Post here if interested.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-23-2001, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Orlando Fla prices

My lot is 110'X190' lakefront. The guy that cuts it charges $30.00. Mows and stick edges curb, sidewalk and planting beds. Runs the weed eater around the dock. I've been paying him that price for the past 3 yrs. Does a great job too. Works solo and hasen't ask for a price increase. Seems like a great deal to me.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Equipguy

110 x 190 = 20900 Minus 6,000 for house and drive etc. = 15,000 or $2.00 per M. 15,000 = 1/3 of an acrea. I would give him a nice X mas bonus and ask for proof of contractor lib insur. I would not touch that price but it is doable. I am running 42" Walkers and specialize in smaller lots.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Quote:
110 x 190 = 20900 Minus 6,000 for house and drive etc. = 15,000 or $2.00 per M. 15,000 = 1/3 of an acrea.
Pardon me for asking, what is M? ($2.00 per M.)

What is your avg. time on ea. visit? I too run 42"Walker.

20" Huffy w/ a wand duct taped to the fender............. Every time I see that I laugh. That's good!

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2001, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Forgot to add, Aaaatttttta boy! on the school. Keep it up! Feels good I'm sure. I just graduated 15 of Dec. w/ my engineering degree, it has been a hell of a long road.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

WLC

M = 1,000 sg ft This a symbold used by the professors at my local college. Some are Phd from Mich State U. (Turf guru of the world) others are Phd from LSU. 20 years ago I lived in Baton Rouge and attended LSU. The agriculture classes I took there also used M = 1,000 sg ft. However I see people on lawnsite use K = 1,000 sg ft.

($2.00 per M ) ???? $30.00 to cut 15,000 sg ft is $2.00 per 1,000 sg ft or $2.00/M. Factor in travel time, weed whooping, Clean up and overhead; Equipguy is getting a bargian in my book. I charge $30.00 for a 7 to 9 M lot.

Time factors I have broken out have been One man hr per yard. This includes support time as well as production. I do not time individual yards or do I ask my crew to do this. I try and stress Quaility and tell them to forget speed. This works for me and I have a very tight lawn route That was built on word of mouth in up scale Nieghborhoods. I take a smaller % of gross as profit but feel good will is worth a lot more. I am in the business for the long run. I might add that my average yard is only 5M so the one man hour is a long time. I include weed spraying edging ever thing, bed blow out and dead palm frone removeal in my mowing price.

I thank you for the aaatttta boy I believe knowledge should be a life long quest and have more letters behind my name than in my name.

WLC now that you have a degree our you planning to stay in the green industry??? Good Luck on your Plans whatever they might be. The huffy keeps me in shape glad you like it. One day I will post a pic.

Old 12-24-2001, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

35.00 and up----- No exceptions.