Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Take a handgun carry permit class or advanced level defense class. Of if you cannot carry or own a handgun, read a book on how to legally protect your property, and life.

A general rule of engagment deadly force is vaild, if the crimal is threating you or you feel threaten, and the criminal is within striking distance or lunging reach. You must attempt to engage the crimnal with verbal commands, then esculate the defense level as necessary, this happens quickly. In the end the crimal complies to less than lethal force, or shoot to kill, not wound. So if you property is next to your house, its dark? of course I would be on a higher level of alert/force to deal with the situation. In day light when you can get a good visuale and keep your distance to have time to protect yourself or property. I would take more time before using deadly force. Keep in mind these are "general" rules, and every situation is different. The best gun fight is the one you avoid. Do not hesitate to take a human life when necessary.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Forget all that "if you think you're man enough to pull the trigger" stuff...

Here's your problem with the sign:

That just might be construed as premeditated murder.
Just think, 20 to life.

Doesn't mean they have to take your side of the story either.

A dead body is not something I would want around if I were holding the smoking gun.
Could turn into bad news fast, real bad.
Down here a sign like that isn't unusual and is seen as a warning. Same as a : "Beware of the dog" sign. Another one is: " Don't worry about the dog. Worry about the owner with the gun."
And the dead men comment comes direct from the police. As long as the fatal shot is from the front and in your dwelling, most juries won't even go for a manslaughter charge if the person had a record. Shooting a drug dealer/bully in the back might get you the manslaughter charge because you fired the gun inside an occupied building. But that is a tough call. One I had to make too. Florida has gotten tired of the criminal influence and might be only second to Texas in the rights of people to protect themselves, relatives and neighbors and property from the crooks.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowbizz View Post
What if the guy reading the sign (would be thief) just calls your bluff and hangs around to see if you will shoot or not...? Lurking around in the dark or just casing out your stuff will probably result in the thief finding out it's a bluff sign anyway...Better to have some motion lights that come on when equipment is approached as well as locking things up securely...might even attract attention to your stuff that otherwise would not??
I don't see the sign stopping anyone either, if anything
it might make it worse when someone takes it as a dare.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen signs saying
No Trespassing
If you feel that you need
to cross this field, feel free
You better make it across less then 56 sec.
It only takes me 59 sec to get my gun

HINT HINT I walked the long way around LOL
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My favorite was in the movie disorganized crime ( trespassers will be violated survivors will be shot) Now do you really want to find out if their bluffing?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best sign I saw was Danger Killer Bees, we dont get killer bees up here.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Best sign I saw was Danger Killer Bees, we dont get killer bees up here.

im sure he meant to say 47 states. No need to spin peoples words. As we age muti tasking, which he does 24 hours a day, can jumble your thoughts a bit. Of course he knows there are not 58 states.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get one of the $20 battery operated driveway alarms. When I'm too tired to move the equipment inside the garage, I put the transmitter in or around the truck and leave the receiver next to my bed. They can be loud though when they go off. Sometimes wind and rain will set them off too but they do work as long as you keep the batteries up to date.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful if you ever confront them..... Let me also tell you from my experience.......having had my whole rig jacked in front of my eyes while at a job site, you never know what you will do. I always fancied myself as someone who would be tough if I encountered a thief.... aka "Uma Thruman/Kill Bill ".........However, when it really happens ........it all becomes so surreal. I'm not sure that if I had a gun in my hand that the outcome would have been better.My regret that day is having left the truck door unlocked and the dog at home. They were professionals and had the ignition cover ripped off and the truck started in the few seconds it took for me to walk behind the house to get my hand tools. I'm a careful person and never even saw them hanging around which means they were hiding and watching. Don't forget that a lot of these thiefs are much better at this than you ! Your life is more important than your stuff even if it is your livelihood.